Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Commander REP Brooker 39931 wing Leader 122 wing 2nd TAF

Thanks

Default Wing Commander REP Brooker 39931 wing Leader 122 wing 2nd TAF

I am nephew of REP Brooker and I am trying to research what happened to him. He was reported missing on 16th April 1945 and his Hawker Tempest aircraft crash site was never identified or his body recovered. The account given by Pierre Clostermann in The Big Show is not verifiable.
    Official records state:-
    “ W/Cmdr flying aircraft 122 Wing 486 Squadron. Missing 16th April 18.30 hours day operation armed recce Wittenburghe. Missing particulars unknown.
    Pilot 39931 S/Ldr (A/W/Cmdr) R.E.P.Brooker 122 Wing
    Missing particulars unknown. Normal fighter equipment. Long range tanks, presumed enemy action.
    Leading six aircraft of 80 Squadron. Approx 5 miles Allied side of River Elbe near Wittenburghe, T7600. Encountered 7/8 F.W. 190’s whilst at 6,000 ft. and followed them down to low level - more F.W. 190’s came up behind, of which two subsequently shot down. Light flak encountered from woods at Wittenburghe. Nothing heard or seen of W/Cmdr Brooker after engagement with F.W. 190s”.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Default Re: Wing Commander REP Brooker 39931 wing Leader 122 wing 2nd TAF

Hello Malcolm,
    From what I have found.
    W/C. R.E.P. BROOKER, DSO*,DFC* was flying a Tempest Mk V, serial number NV641 and a/c in Squadron letter was "B".
    Also lost on the same day was Sgt. W.F.Turner in a Tempest Mk V, serial number NV983 of 80 Squadron.
    Hope this is a little help to you.

PS, T7600 was the serial number of a Tiger Moth. Is it possible that the reference to T7600 could be a map reference ?

See also here -

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...098#post151098
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 27th May 2020 at 14:31.

Thanks

Hi,

yes, that is a map reference: https://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translator.php

1) Select the grid Nord de Guerre Grid and

2) write rT7600 and click Convert!

Regards

Mojmir

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vrajm For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (27th May 2020)

Thanks

Have you investigated the CWGC?

As Alex has written Sgt W F Turner was also lost on this mission. He is buried in a War Grave at Hotton which is in Belgium that's a long way from Wittenberge. I am not an expert in these matters but other links connected to Turner's web page suggest that his body was moved (concentrated) after the war. The CWGC will probably have a record of where Turner was first buried which may have been nearer the crash site. Not all casualties were identified when they were found for example Turner is buried in grave C.12 at Hotton and grave C.9 is marked as "unknown British airmen".

If you have not done it already you could make a post on a Luftwaffe board eg http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Steve

Thanks

Thank you Alex.

Thanks

Thank you Steve. I was aware that Sgt Turner was with him on that sortie and went missing as well, and that his crash site was identified after the war. The problem is that my uncle REP Brooker was not wearing his dog tags on that day. I’m told he always admonished his pilot’s if they did not wear them, yet on that day he forgot his. I have them here along with all his memorabilia some of which I have loaned to the RAF museum at Northweald. I will try a post on the Luftwaffe forum you suggest.
    Thank you so much. I wonder if the unidentified airman grave at Hotton could be his if he crashed near to Turner. Yet the aircraft remains were not found.

Thanks

Tempests took off from B.112, Rheine-Hopsten for an armed recce of Pritzwalk-Neureppin at 17:45. (Rheine-Hopsten – Pritzwalk, the distance 200 miles).

Cca at 18:30 they met several Focke-Wulfs near Wittenberge (Rheine-Hopsten – Wittenberge, the distance 180 miles). Wittenberge - not Wittenburg.

I think W/C Brooker was lost in that area. Sgt. Turner with his cutting engine was returning earlier. The rest of aircraft landed at 19:30.

Regards

Mojmir

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vrajm For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (27th May 2020)

Thanks

I believe that Turner's remains were recovered from somewhere identified as Fleetmark in Germany on 22 Aug 1951 for reburial at Hotton.

Thanks

Hello Malcolm,

By sheer coincidence I came across your uncle's name in a book the morning you posted your query but before I saw it ! I was browsing through my newly-acquired Volumes 1-3 of 'LUFTWAFFE ACES, Biographies and Victory Claims' by Johannes Mathews and John Foreman. Unfortunately I could not remember the relevant entry and have only just found it again.

Under the entry for Haupt. Ernst-Georg Altnorthoff the authors write that this ace claimed his 11th and last victory on 16 April 1945, as a 'P-47'. It was 5 km. west of Havelberg at 1921 hours (German time). The authors state "his opponent was certainly a 122 Wing Tempest. It is possible that he was responsible for the loss of Wing Commander Richard 'Boy' Brooker, who was killed."
    Altnorthoff was Staffelkapitan of 6./JG 27 at the time. That is all there is.

One of the authors, Johannes Mathews, often posts on the Luftwaffe section of the 'Twelve O'Clock High' forum.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hi,

Havelberg - 20 miles SE of Wittenberge

„5 km west of Havelberg“ – the left bank of the Elbe – the Anglo-American zone from 18 (?) April 1945 to 1 July 1945, then the Soviet occupation zone…

If the plane was shot down nearer of Havelberg (1,5 km), there was later the Soviet occupation zone only… It could fall also into the river.

The answer can lay at the Soviet archives.

http://ghdi.ghi-dc.org/sub_document....cument_id=2303

Line of Demarcation between Soviet and Anglo-American Troops (1945)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...April_1945.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...7_May_1945.jpg

Regards

Mojmir