Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.A.F. losses 20th January 1942

Thanks

Default R.A.F. losses 20th January 1942

Hello

I'm looking for R.A.F. losses which may have occured in northern France on 20th January 1942, either during the day or the night before or even the night after. It may have been a two-seater/

I've checked Fighter and Bomber Command, with no luck.

Thanks for any suggestion

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss
    Have you considered clandestine ops, say, an attempt to insert or recover agents or supplies? I don't know where the records of such ops are available, if at all, or the ORB's of any Squadrons or Stations that might have been involved such as Tempsford and 138 Squadron
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hello Dick,

No. 138 Squadron was part of Bomber Command, so is covered by Bill Chorley's BCL volumes. But it might indeed be one of the earlier flights. I'm also considering a Coastal Command loss, as the location, if correct in the diary, is not far from Calais.

Thanks for your help

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

At that time there was also Army Co-operation Command

Malcolm

Thanks

No clandestine SD ops. It was towards the end of the two-week 'dark' period. First 138 Sqn operation of the January '42 Moon Period was on the 22nd: MARMOSET/PERIWIG 1 flown by P/O Smith, abandoned. Target was found, but no reception lights.

Nick Livingstone

Thanks

Hello Joss,
    I don't know what files you have seen so I looked at a couple. According to AIR40/2987, Air Ministry Daily Resume of Air Operations, 19/20 Jan: no ops by BC.
    3x Wellingtons and 1x Hampden were missing from night operations 20/21 Jan. All fighters were accounted for, CC had nothing to report.
    For 21/22 Jan, 1x Beaufighter missing from operations DUTCH COAST; 5x Hampdens, 1x Whitley and 1x Wellington missing from operations against EMDEN and BREMEN. Nothing else, squadrons are not mentioned.
    These are 'raw' figures which were compiled quickly for daily reports and may have been updated at some time afterwards.

HTH,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello

Thanks Malcolm, Nick and Bruce for your input. Much appreciated. I had checked the usual FCL and BCL, Though without Anger, but with no CCL volume 2, Coastal Command was my last hope.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Default Re: R.A.F. losses 20th January 1942

Hello all, regarding the Beaufighter loss of 22nd January 1942 mentioned in post #6; If this particular loss is of interest with the member who started thie thread I am in contact with the son of one of the crew. Let me know if are interested in making contact.

Thanks

Hello Stan

Thanks for your offer. I started this thread because of the mention in a french book about the area near Calais of the downing of a "English plane, flying over Saint Inglevert and Leubringhen. It was shot down by Flak near Marquise. The crew was captured. The pilot was French." If there are some informations to be found from the one of one of the crew (Beaufighter off Dutch Coast according to your pm), it can be interesting.

I can't find a French pilot shot down and captured on that day. It was hearsay, or the date is wrong.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss, thanks for the prompt response. There doesn't seem to be any connection but I'll bring this updated thread to my friends attention.

Back in 2011 he started started a post on WW2talk.com trying to find out about his father who was the Pilot of the Beaufighter. You can view the this here:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...veryone.30711/

The Beaufighter was on a reconnaissance operation to Texel and was shot down by a flak ship near Ijmuiden at about 15.30 hours 22.1.1942. Both crew were killed. The Observers body was recovered but the Pilot, his father, Flt. Lt. Blennerhassett was apparently not found.

Stan.