Thread: Wellesley MkII identification, Sudan 1938-41

Thanks

Default Wellesley MkII identification, Sudan 1938-41

Hi everyone. I've been editing a selection of my father's photos taken while he was with the RAF in Sudan and Crete between 1938 and 1941. They are now on Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandeh...57714487027898

I came across the rafcommands database and then this forum as I was looking for info on one aircraft where there is only a hint remaining of the ripped serial number. This Wellesley may have been part of 47 Squadron and operating out of Erkowit as that is where my father, F/Lt Bernard 'Joe' Lynch, was stationed for much of the period.

I suspect it may be K7742 or K7747 but as far as I can see neither has been discussed here.

k012 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

k011 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

I've added some notes to each group of photos in the folder but I am still building up a picture of who he was and what he did - I have little more than his stock of filed negatives and his handwritten log. Though there is one curiosity about him as an individual that you might find interesting. He's mentioned in Group Captain Pelly-Fry's autobiography, Heavenly Days, for his role in assisting Haile Selassie, and can be seen standing with Selassie in one of the shots - wearing his Merchant Navy brass belt buckle as part of his RAF uniform. I have his belt buckle on my desk in front of me!

Any comments regarding the other aircraft or personnel in the folder would be welcome.

(PS, I couldn't quite follow the instructions for the Guest Account particulars for uploading to the Gallery, but the links to Flickr appear to work.)

Thanks

Default Re: Wellesley MkII identification, Sudan 1938-41

Lovely Photos on Flickr.

I will go with K7747 .. the last digit certainly looks like the top of a 7 rather than a 2 (Which would have had a rounded corner)

From K File by JJ Halley

K7747 - Del to 35Sqn, 77 Sqn, AD Aboouikir 22.8.39 for 223 Sqn. Damaged by CR42s over Gura and Crashed on Landing. Summit. 12.6.40, SOC 7.7.40 as BER

Just for info. K7742 was with 47 Sqn at Khartoum. Damaged by Gladiators in error and forcelanded 17.6.40 . Destroyed in air raid, Gedaref. 16.10.40

Also

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...mageViewerLink
    223 Sqdn F541

B Flt K7747, ?/O ROSS, CPL STEVENSON TO1130 Back 1630. (part of nine aircraft mission)
    All aircraft returned. Photos of Gura Aerodrome. Ammo expended 2115 rounds. One air gunner wounded in legs. Two ac written off due to enemy fire

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...mageViewerLink
    223 Sqdn F540
    Confirms that Stevenson was wounded.

PS: Confirmed via http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/223_wwII.html that Wellesleys of 223 had AO combat code (Which the above ac carries)... 47 Sqn had KU
    Last edited by Jagan; 29th May 2020 at 22:56.

Thanks

Some absolutely fantastic photographs there!
    David D

Thanks

Thank you, Jagan

That looks like the level of detail I was missing. I agree that a 2 should have seemed more rounded in the corner, but I had no idea about the difference between the KU and AO designation. This also confirms the context of K2696 KUO in some of the other photos.

Although Erkowit was mentioned in the log more frequently he also notes many periods at Summit.

and thanks to your indication I have just found this:
    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/229463

However, I have assumed it was a MkII on account of the long canopy.

Although I began by scanning the most immediately interesting shots related to the air war I aim to go through them again in due course as there are a hundred more negatives. I have no idea whether he stopped shooting on his return in 1942 or if other negatives were lost.

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandeha Lynch For This Useful Post:

Jagan (31st May 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for posting those images a couple of serial and Sqn code tie up there For those who collect that stuff

Thanks

Strictly there was no such thing as a Mk.II, but this seems to have been applied to aircraft that served with Bomber Command and then were recycled through Vickers before being posted to the ME. This aircraft fits that description. Photos are fairly rare because there were numerous losses en-route thanks to U-boats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
    Strictly there was no such thing as a Mk.II, but this seems to have been applied to aircraft that served with Bomber Command and then were recycled through Vickers before being posted to the ME. This aircraft fits that description. Photos are fairly rare because there were numerous losses en-route thanks to U-boats.
    Thanks. I gathered it was an unofficial designation but didn't know more. By the looks of it they had this long canopy type both at Summit and Erkowit, 223 and 47 Sqn.
    https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205208741