Thread: Identity card photo?

Thanks

Default Identity card photo?

Hello All,

I have 2 strips (3 photos in each strip) of photos of my Dad and Iím curious whether they were issued...possibly to be made into identity cards if he was shot down and trying to escape and evade? Was this a common practice?

Mike
    Barrie, Canada
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Default Re: Identity card photo?

Hi Mike,
    Yes, I think that is exactly right. I have some from my Dad as well...they were taken in civilian clothing and the airmen carried them with them on ops....they could be used to make fake identity cards if the airmen were lucky enough to meet up with the Resistance.
    Cheers, Clint

Thanks

Thanks Clint,

I was able to find a book on evaders, Shot Down and on the Run: The RCAF and Commonwealth Aircrews who Got Home from Behind Enemy Lines, 1940-1945 By Graham Pitchfork, 2003 Dundurn Press that confirms our assumptions

“The carrying of identity cards by the local population was made mandatory by German and Italian occupying forces.The design and type of identity card changed at irregular intervals, and different regulations existed between the occupied countries. This placed evaders at a great disadvantage, and the lack of an identity card often resulted in capture. All identity cards carried a photograph of the individual, and MI 9 instructed units that all aircrew were to carry photographs on all operations over enemy and enemy-occupied territory. From the results of careful observation on the part of reliable helpers, and interrogation of successful evaders, a clear and accurate picture was established on the types of photograph that were required. Precise instructions for the photographer were given, and these included the type of paper to use, the size of the image, the type of background, and the aspect of the subject. Aircrew were told to wear a nondescript jacket, shirt and collar with a distinctive tie.They were strongly advised to be photographed without a moustache – on the Continent it was the exception rather than the rule for young men to grow moustaches. They were also reminded that individual members of the same crew should not all wear the same jacket and tie! Aircrew were told to carry at least two photographs and ensure that they were kept securely so that they could not be lost during a forced descent, or left in clothing or equipment likely to be discarded after landing.“

All six of my Dads pictures are without a moustache and each strip is a slightly different pose but matching the description above.

You can see the book at https://books.google.ca/books?id=EGx...other_versions

Mike
    Last edited by anglin.mj; 14th May 2020 at 04:48.
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Yes! Dad had some of those as well. Civilian clothing and horrible haircuts! 40 years later dad found the photos rather amusing!

Thanks

Oh that's so true LOL! My Dad looks like some low life 30's gangster in his evader photos...the sort of fellow who might be carrying an icepick up his sleeve....
    All the best, Clint