Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identification of Aircraft Roundel

Thanks

Default Re: Identification of Aircraft Roundel

It could be an early Fleet built Cornell but I understand the red/white/blue underwing roundel were about 30 inches diam.
    I am going to suggest the image shows fabric from the under the lower wing of a RCAF Fleet Finch. The roundel would be smaller and would place the Spec markings adjacent to the aileron gap - which is where such stenciling was marked. I cannot recall ever having seen a fuselage photograph or drawing were lettering was stenciled close to the roundel as per photo.
    Freshman

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

I agree re stencil locations in general, Freshman - I overlooked that. The Cornell had a plywood-covered wing and the clean condition of the back of this fabric suggests a type without that kind of sheathing. If this was a Finch, would assume FAL stands for Fleet Aircraft Ltd. and '561' is the number of the adjacent aileron assembly.

I'll check with a couple of museums to see if they can confirm that the souvenir is from a Finch.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 11th June 2020 at 16:24.

Thanks

Robert,
    If that does not work I have a contact with a knowledgeable RCAF Finch owner.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the offer. Could you pursue with your contact as museums are still in lockdown and my enquiries may therefore take a while.

Robert

Thanks

Might the A L 561 refer to a piece of equipment like a radio being located behind a panel near there, I would think it unusual to have a part or assembly part number having to be painted back on top of the main paints, they would typically be on the non decorative or visible side. Of course, i'm applying modern day Airbus/Boeing etc which is what i have experience of.

Of course, why wouldn't an equipment number just be painted on the access hatch if that were the case.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robstitt View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the offer. Could you pursue with your contact as museums are still in lockdown and my enquiries may therefore take a while.

Robert
    Hi Robert,
    I have to contact him via a PM on another forum. Have sent him a PM and hoping to receive a reply. He has answered my queries about Finches in past and has an authentically marked example Canadian registered example himself. I think he will recognize the fabric panel, if it is from a Finch or Fawn. Those screw heads and fabric reinforcements under the dope will be relevant I am sure.
    Freshman

Thanks

Thanks for the information and help! This forum has a vast amount of knowledge and resources.

Thanks

Pippen23 and all,
    My Fleet Finch contact has got back to me. After looking at the signs of the screw heads and reinforcement patches, plus the "F.A.L." prefixed art number he replied as follows - "The screw go into the ribs to hold the fabric and had a approx 2 inch diameter pinked edge patch over them as can be see in your photo
    I 100% confirm this is from a Fleet Finch 16B or R".

From my own sources I can add...
    Fleet 16B = Finch II powered by 130 hp Kinner B5-R, 7 cyl. radial.
    Fleet 16R = Finch I powered by 160 hp Kinner R5-2, 7 cyl. radial.

If the fabric is original it most have been stored out of light for a long time. The unrestored trainer yellow Cornell parts I have seen have all faded much more than this example.

If Pippen23 would like to contact me through the forum's PM system I would be interested to hear more about it - and so would the Canadian Finch owner. If you are have joined only recently you may have yet be able to use the PM system in which case I will attempt to contact you.
    Freshman

Thanks

That's good news, Freshman. Am in touch with Pip via email and will advise him re your confirmation.

Re durability of paint colours, the freshness of the camouflage and markings on Anson L7056 discovered at Port Renfrew was startling after 71 years covered by just a few inches of fir needles and other forest duff. I have scans if anyone is interested.

Robert

Thanks

Rob, Hi,
    Yes please. I would like a scan of the actual discovery location! You've got my email.
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!