Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hendon 33rd intake 1936

Thanks

Default Hendon 33rd intake 1936

Hello all,

The records of the 33rd intake at Hendon (as found on the interwebs) show my father (Arthur Davis 510660) as part of the intake. His record shows 'to Ad. Wing Halton' on 19/3/36. The problem with this is that by 1936 he is 27 years old and within 3 months of completing his service. On 11/636 he is transferred to "E" reserve and promoted to LAC. At that stage he was hardly one of Trenchard's brats.

1. Where would the 33rd intake list have been compiled from? What is the original source and would it be possible to confirm he was part of the entry?
    2. Why would the RAF send someone to Hendon while he was in his last months of his seven years, and then promote him on the date of his leaving to the reserve? I am aware of the practice of promoting officers on their leaving the service, but was this common for ORs.?

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Tim D

Thanks

Default Re: Hendon 33rd intake 1936

I think you have got slightly confused along the way, or someone has fed you duff gen, Tim. With that service number, your father was not a Halton brat (not sure where RAF 'Hendon' comes into the equation?). His service number is from a block issued to civilian enlistments from Oct 1925 onwards. I suspect your father joined up mid / late 1929. It appears that he was assigned to the Admin Wing at Halton prior to leaving regular service, presumably as either a holding post or to burn off his leave / resettle / de-kit etc.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Tim D/Jonny,
    Not wishing to jump in, and/or muddy the waters, but some forensic logic.
    1. If he was 27 in 1936, then his Birth Year was 1909.
    2. If his Birth year was 1909, then he would have been 18 in 1927.
    3. Assuming that the Block 505001-549999 was issued regularly and in sequence by the RAF to Civilians from 01-Oct-25 to 30-Apr-38.
    4. 510660 would have been issued (using my experimental Number Issuing s/sheet) in early-May 1927.
    5. See 2. Above.
    6. There are 7 Arthur Davisís Births Reg in E&W in 1909. (Tim will obviously know which one, but the rest of us would be stuck without a hint at the Birth Reg District, or any further NoK details).
    So, I am agreeing with Jonny Ė but suggesting a possible modification to his possible Enlistment date.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Tim,

Following on again from Peter's post, I try and track enlistment dates against service numbers, but there always gaps in my records. May I ask what your dad's enlistment date was please?

Many thanks

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Of course Halton not Hendon, although he was at Hendon for the display in 1930.

He enlisted in june 1929. He may have lied about his age, as the typed birth date of 1910 has been scored out and replaced with 1908, his actual birthdate.

I agree he was not a Trenchard brat, but it seems peculiar for him to appear in the list for the 33rd intake. His record sheet shows "Ad wing Halton 19/3/36" reason E.

Still wondering if this was normal

Tim D

Thanks

Hi Tim

No 33 Entry at Halton began in January 1936 and was allocated the numbers 568814 to 569665 so clearly your father wasn't a member of the Entry, as you say, on account of his age, service number and being close to discharge.

Although, Aircrafthand was an unskilled trade, members of this trade group provided the personnel needed for disciplinary purposes such as Drill Instructors and Service Police, so his posting to Halton, whilst probably a holding post pending discharge, as has already been suggested, could have seen him attached to No 33 Entry as an Assistant DI.

AC2, AC1 and LAC were not ranks but trade classifications, which were achieved by passing trade tests, so having proven his ability as a DI during his time at Halton, he may have been awarded LAC on discharge as a reward.

Malcolm

Thanks

Tim,

Thanks for confirming your father's enlistment date as June '29. It tallies what I have for similar numbers.

However, try as I might, I can't find on the web where your father is mentioned as being part of the 33rd Entry at Halton. Can you please give me a steer?

Many thanks

Jonny

Thanks

Thank you Malcolm and jonny,

Malcolm's advice that AC1's were used as drill instructors etc is probably the answer and ties in with his proficiency being assessed as superior both at the time of discharge and during his prior service.

The link to the 33rd entry (www.xs4all.nl/~jrt/raf) on the Halton Apprentices site is broken, and my attempt some time ago to ask the webmaster for the source of his data was met with silence.

My attempt to locate it just now on the internet archive using the WaybackMachine also failed. It appears the site was never archived.

So the question remains:- What would have been the source of the data?

Tim D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarfside View Post
    So the question remains:- What would have been the source of the data?

Tim D
    Without an approach to the original data source to find out where he / she got it from, its all going to be supposition.

Best of luck with it Tim.

Kind rgds

Jonny

Thanks

I found it in wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20181129...xs4all.nl/raf/

2 options re the name

1) there was another Arthur Davis in the 33rd Entry (not your father)
    2) Or it was a group photo that had the names of all Instructors and Pupils and he was on that (and that is where list generated from)