Thread: 15 Squad, 27 Flight, 5 Wing - need advice

Thanks

Default 15 Squad, 27 Flight, 5 Wing - need advice

Hi,

Hope someone could help me with my query.
    *I apologise if I have submitted this post into the wrong thread.

I have recently found an old photo of my dad from the second world war, sadly my dad passed away back in 1993. The photo shows a squad of airmen and on the back of the photo are the signatures of some of the men photographed (my dads included). Above these signatures it says '15 Squad, 27 Flight, 5 Wing' and I was wondering if any squad details could be revealed from this information. Whenever he talked about the war, I remember my dad would mention that he worked on plane engines and that he would have to fly with the pilot on any first test flights. He would also talk about how he bumped into his two brothers (also airmen) in Nicosia, Cyprus while in the war.
    I would upload the photo here but the photo is saved locally on my PC and not from a URL.

I fear this information far too general to look into at any great depth but I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks

Default Re: 15 Squad, 27 Flight, 5 Wing - need advice

Chris,
    15 Squad, 27 Flight, 5 Wing, I cannot figure out what that is. That is not 15 Squadron, but a 'squad' within another unit. If he worked on airplane engines, he was either a member of a maintainance unit or of a specific squadron. 166 MU was the maintainance unit at Nicosia from 1943, or from any number of squadrons. Do you know when/date he would have been at Nicosia ? Do you know what airplanes he would have worked on ? Anything else that would give a clue. Being that I am Cypriot and all my research resolves around RAF/Cypriot matters, send me an email and attach that photo and I'll have a look, and tell what I think.

regards,
    Andrew

Thanks

Chris, welcome to the forum!
    The title of the photo sounds suspiciously like it was taken at some stage in yr Dad's Recruit Training (square-bashing, jabs, haircuts, etc.).
    Your best bet, probably, is to get his RAF Service Record (https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records).
    It will be full of acronyms, short-forms, etc. It will also tell you where/when of yr Dad's movements. There are a large number on the forum who will help with the decyphering.
    It might help if we could have his full name. A great deal can be deduced from that. His Service Number would be a bonus!
    Good luck with yr researches!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Chris,
    seen photo, thanks for sending it through. I thought it might have been at Nicosia, but from what I see , I have to agree with Peter that it appears to be during recruit training, at Aircrew Reception Centre or Initial Training Wing somewhere in England.
    As Peter suggests, apply for his service history, which you are entitled to as his son, and that will tell you everywhere that he served. I've linked the photo here for you for the others to see as you had problem uploading it.

Andrew

Thanks

Chris/Andrew (et al)
    Yup! Square Bashing! 28 blokes in 15 Squad. Prob 2 blokes missing from the photo. 28 blokes equals 3 ranks of 9, and a spare? 3 ranks of 10 would give 30 in the squad (roughly equivalent to an Army Section). The only rank badge visible is the Cpl Drill Instructor (prob only a LAC T/L/A/Cpl(U)! Can’t guess loc – but not tropical. Must be tens of thousands of pix like that lurking in lofts!! I’ve got one somewhere!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi

It will have been taken at a Recruit Centre rather then ACRC or ITW because none of the recruits shown are trainee aircrew (no white bands on their headgear).

As an engine fitter he may well have had to fly in aircraft following repair work on the engine.

Malcolm

Thanks

Good evening,

Sorry about my late reply.
    Thank you so much for all your help on this. I will attempt to recover my dads RAF details as suggested.
    I should really have taken more notice of his RAF stories while he was still here but hopefully this may fill-in some of the blanks.

Thanks again. No doubt I will be back if the returned information requires deciphering but I feel safe in the knowledge that any questions will be swiftly answered by this helpful forum.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks

Bear in mind that when you do apply for his service records it will take a few weeks to get them, at the best of times.
    Andrew