Thread: RAF Bomber Command Pilot Billy Arden 1451251 / 130611

Thanks

Default RAF Bomber Command Pilot Billy Arden 1451251 / 130611

Hi All. I'm looking to complete the service history of this chap. I know he completed his flying training at No.1 British Flying Training School Kaufman County Airport, Terrel in Texas (probably during 1941) and was commissioned in September 1942. I can next find him when he was posted, from No.1660 Conversion Unit to No. 619 Squadron in July 1943, and have a fairly full picture of his career from then on. Can anyone help me find out where he went between returning from Texas and arriving at 1660 CU. As always, any help or advice is welcome. Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Bomber Command Pilot Billy Arden 1451251 / 130611

From the time he returned from Texas he would have attended an Advanced Flying Unit to aclimatise to Uk flying conditions, then an Operational Training Unit, before the CU. As he appears to have survived the war (not on the CWGC), unless you are next of kin, you can't apply for his service record.
    Andrew

Thanks

Sorry, cyflyer, you can, assuming he has died and that this was at least 25 years ago.

Brian

Thanks

Hi chaps and thanks for the suggestions. I do know that he survived the war and, interestingly, transferred to the Catering Branch - eventually retiring as a W/Co in 1967. The difficulty I have is that I am actually trying to trace approximately ninety people, and cannot really justify spending around 2,700 on a hobby! At the risk of appearing miserly(!) I'm trying to do as much as I can and aim to 'invest' in paying for the service records of only the most difficult cases. Hence, I really appreciate the help I'm being given - and am more than willing to try to help others where I can. Cheers to all. Andrew

Thanks

Just an afterthought on this. Was there any pattern to such postings? I'm wondering whether each CU was fed by a specific, or specific group, of OTU and whether, similarly, each OTU was fed by a specific, or specific group, of AFU? It would be good if this were the case, but I doubt things would have been that simple! Thanks again. Andrew