Thread: Log book entry

Thanks

Default Log book entry

My father's log book as well as his navigator's both record the entry "2nd Front" for June 6/44 D-Day. There targets were in France. Can anyone elaborate on what this might have meant?

Also would any one have details of the route taken by the East Compound of Stalag Luft III on the Death March across Germany, in particular the route that ended just outside Lubeck and the approximate date of Liberation?

Thanks for your help

Leslie

Thanks

Leslie,

'2nd Front', as opposed to the first, which was the Eastern Front.

For a detailed account of the forced marches across Germany in 1945 you could probably do no better than to get hold of a copy of 'The Last Escape the untold story of Allied prisoners of war in Germany 1944-45' by John Nichol and Tony Rennell, pub by Viking in 2002 and Penguin in 2003 (the latter, in paperback, runs to 471 pages including index).

Errol

Thanks

Leslie - simply '2nd Front' means in this case allied invasion in Normandy so the targets were the coastal defence, railroads, roads, etc.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I have the book the Last Escape but it seemed to deal more with the North and South Compounds. I did however only peruse it so I'd better take a closer look.
    With respect to the log book entries, that is sort of what my dad thought but he wasn't exactly sure, so thanks for clarifying,

Leslie

Thanks

Also would any one have details of the route taken by the East Compound of Stalag Luft III on the Death March across Germany, in particular the route that ended just outside Lubeck and the approximate date of Liberation?

My father was part of the party that left the East Compound at 0600 Jan 23rd 1945.

They marched to Spemburg (sp?) and were then shipped by rail in cattle trucks to Marlag/ Tarmsdedt arriving 5th February. They stayed there until April and then proceeded to make the Spring March towards Lubeck. They were liberated when staying on a large estate 10 miles S.W. of Lubeck on May 2nd. 1945.

If you wish to pm me I will fill you in a little more on what I know.