Thread: F W Cook (45090) AFC June 1944

Thanks

Default F W Cook (45090) AFC June 1944

I can see that my grandfather F W Cook (45090) was awarded the AFC in 1944. London Gazette Supplement 36544,
    dated 6 June 1944, page 2648. F/Lt F W Cook. Is it possible to find any citation to explain what this
    was for exactly? How would I set about finding this or is it unlikely that it will have been published anywhere?

I think he was with 10 MU at this period of his career.

Advice and guidance gratefully received.

Thanks

Default Re: F W Cook (45090) AFC June 1944

Your grandfathers award will almost certainly be detailed in AIR 2/9004 held at the National Archives. It is unfortunately not downloadable so you will need to visit.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C2634805

If you remind me when they are open again I can have a look for you.

Chris

Thanks

COOK, Frank William, F/L (45095, Royal Air Force) - No. 19 Maintenance Unit - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 8 June 1944. Public Record Officer Air 2/9004 has recommendation drafted when he had flown 1,119 hours (142 on test flying and 26 hours on ferry flying in previous six months); material provided courtesy of Steve Brew.

"Flight Lieutenant Cook has been continuously employed on test flying for three and on-quarter years and for the past ten months has served as senior test pilot. An experienced and efficient officer, he has tested many types of operational and non-operational aircraft without accident. By his keenness and devotion to duty he has set an inspiring example to his subordinates. He has displayed great aptitude for mastering new test flying requirements involved by changes in types."

Thanks

Hugh

Thank you so much, that is amazing. I think that probably sums his career up. I am currently investigating all his logbooks in detail. He started flying in the Middle East on Avro 504N biplanes in 1928 and after the war I see Meteors and a Lightning and in between 500+ Beaufighters and 500+ Spitfires amongst the many planes. There is even a Rota being flown early on too, that's a strange looking plane. My father will be delighted that I have found this out, he wasn't really even aware he got the AFC until long after my grandfather's death. Thank you so very very much.