Thread: Highest Ranking Commonwealth airforce officer as a POW during WWII.

Thanks

Default Highest Ranking Commonwealth airforce officer as a POW during WWII.

I have just finished reading “A Crowd is not Company” and got to thinking about the rank and name of the highest ranking airman during WWII. Does anyone have any insight into this? I suspect there would have been Wing Commanders for sure. Was there anyone at the rank of Group Captain or Air Commodore? I know Black Mike McEwen flew on ops at the rank of Air Commodore.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Highest Ranking Commonwealth airforce officer as a POW during WWII.

Hi Jim,

04073 A/Cdre Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman. Maybe not the highest ranking to fly but was the highest ranking RAF POW.

I can think of a few Group Captains who ended up in the bag as well. 34006 G/Cpt Nigel William David Marwood-Elton (Stalag Luft 1, Barth) and A16 G/Cpt Douglas Ernest Lancelot Wilson, RAAF, SBO at Stalag Luft III come to mind.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited to add: Malcolm's post has reminded me that I was speaking about Bomber Command, not the Pacific.
    Last edited by alieneyes; 27th June 2020 at 15:21.

Thanks

Hi

Probably AVM Paul Maltby, who was captured at the fall of Singapore.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi,

during my past research I came over AM O. T. Boyd, CB, OBE, MC, AFC who was captured as passenger of Wellington Mk.IC T2873 on 21 Nov 1940. Aircraft was flying to Malta but by navigation error got over Sicilly and crashlanded there due to lack of fuel.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Gentlemen! I knew you would come through with the information.

Jim

Thanks

Hi

Pavel is correct, Boyd would be the highest ranking RAF POW (Acting AM at the time of capture) but following his escape he reverted to the rank of AVM and died from a heart attack not long after getting back to the UK.

Malcolm