Thread: Special Memorials in Cambridge City Cemetery

Thanks

Default Special Memorials in Cambridge City Cemetery

In this cemetery there are five special memorials, all marked "buried near this spot", for five of the eight crew of Halifax LK 954, 428 Sqn, that crashed on 03-11-1943 near South Kyme, 7 miles NE of Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

As this aircraft crashed on home territory, what caused the erection of these special memorials?

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,

One possible reason that the headstones say 'buried near this spot' could be the bodies, or parts of bodies, recovered from the wreckage were not in a condition to be positively identified as one man from another. I'm afraid although not a pleasant situation I believe it to have been quite a common one. I have discovered a similar situation with at least one of the crashes that I have researched.

Hope that helps
    Linzee

Thanks

Thanks, Linzee. It is possible, but the usual thing under such circumstances would be to erect a joint grave, consisting of five headstones, five names, and not five special memorials. The larger CWGC cems in Europe hold very many of these joint graves, and few special memorials.

Regards,

Rob