Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Thanks

Default Re: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Brian, Hi,
    Mid-Apr 1934 is the mathematical best Enlistment date. He came in "off the streets" as they say in the Recruiting trade! He's on AIR 78/11/3 I-188 R1C1. If he was 18 when he walked into the Recruiting Office then he would have been born around/before 1916? There's a large number of 'George Bateman's' around that time. He died 17 Jun 1940 on 98 Sqn. Best I can do!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

That`s great information, He was born in 1912 Thank you and everyone regarding this enquiry,it will give me lots of information to follow.
    Regards
    Brian Wakelin

Thanks

Brian,
    FREEBMD has two George (no middle name) Bateman in 1912. If you are certain which one, then you might copy that to CWGC - they have no age data in his entry!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks again,

QUOTE=Resmoroh;152303]Brian,
    FREEBMD has two George (no middle name) Bateman in 1912. If you are certain which one, then you might copy that to CWGC - they have no age data in his entry!
    HTH
    Peter Davies[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Looking at his service number, which falls in the batch 505001 to 549999, it would appear that George may have enlisted, as a civilian, during October 1925.

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Thanks for that Andrew,

George was definitely born in 1912 and the Fisher Act of 1918 made it compulsory for children to attend school until the age of 14 and so even if he concealed his age on enlistment he could not join until after May of 1926. I was wondering where an Airman of 1934-5 would have been trained initially?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewClark View Post
    Looking at his service number, which falls in the batch 505001 to 549999, it would appear that George may have enlisted, as a civilian, during October 1925.

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Hello Again Peter, I have looked at sending the information to CWGC but they seem to require documentary evidence before they will add the information.

Thanks

No disrespect to my more learned colleagues, but this service number indicates an enlistment date in Oct / Nov 1936.

It is worthy of note that Wg Cdr Jim Routledge's handy guide to RAF service numbers, indicates when a block of numbers was issued. In the case of this block (for service numbers 505001 to 549999 allocated to civilian entrants), it was issued in Oct 1925 and then used from that point onwards. Just because a service number sits in this block, doesn't mean to say it was actually allocated to a serviceman in Oct 1925.

Kind rgds

Jonny
    Last edited by jonny; 5th July 2020 at 08:46.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wakelin View Post
    Thank you, It would seem to me that George may have been in the service before tho outbreak of WW2 at that time I believe the squadron had "Hind" aircraft which I understand were bi-planes and perhaps had fabric skinned wings?
    Yes Brian - the Hind had fabric wings and fuselage except for the engine cowlings/cockpit area.
    Interestingly (or not) I attended the 98sqn disbandment dance at RAF Cottesmore in Feb 1976,not in any official capacity - I was the driver/roadie for the band - the band members were from 115 sqn - I was a 'Rigger' on the Canberra OCU at that time.98 sqn had been flying Canberras for some years in the electronic calibration/flight checking role.
    Also perhaps of interest is that my Mum was a Balloon Rigger during WW2 which included some fabric work and winch driving.

rgds baz

Thanks

Jonny thanks for the indicative date indie of 1936 I don’t suppose you could provide us with a guide on here for your date analysis which is better indicator of the from date that most of us have to use ?

Thanks Paul