Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Thanks

Default Re: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

According to Chapter 2 of Aces High Volume 2 by Christopher Shores, this service number was part of the batch of numbers 505001-54999 which were Aircrafthands that joined between June 1925 and March 1938.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Jonny thanks for the indicative date indie of 1936 I don’t suppose you could provide us with a guide on here for your date analysis which is better indicator of the from date that most of us have to use ?

Thanks Paul
    Paul,

There is no analysis, I'm afraid. Over the years that I have been doing this, I have simply recorded every example of primary evidence that I have set my eyes on. The bulk of my database is sourced from original Service and Release books, copy service records, etc. Whilst it is no way exhaustive, I have managed to record several thousands of service numbers for RAF ORs from post WW1 to post WW2. I can usually narrow down most service number searches now, and this will only get more accurate as the list continues to grow. They are baby steps, but I added three more confirmed numbers / dates today for example.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hello All,
    Jonny’s analogue system is clearly more accurate than my experimental mathematical system. He has collected a significant number of analogues. My mathematical system was primarily designed as an Excel exercise which might – rpt might – have been of some value if/when nothing else was available. It does, however, require that I know the Start Date and End Date when the Numbers in any Block were issued. The Start Date for almost all Blocks is relatively well known. The End Date is not so well known, but can be imputed (in some cases) from other data. It also requires that the Enlistees enter the Recruiting Office at the same regular intervals throughout the issue of any Block (hardly likely!!). It is possible (assuming the foregoing constraints) that one could take this – reductio in absurdam – to the day/hr/min when Joe Bloggs walked in “off the street”. But even trying it was beyond my Excel expertise!!
    Knowing any Enlistment date can, sometimes, be a valuable clue in trying to locate the identity of our Joe Bloggs from all the others in the various web-lists (it has worked more than once!).
    So – in order to reduce confusion - I intend to cease posting my experimental mathematical Enlistment dates in any threads - unless specifically requested to do so.
    It was never my intention just to “muddy the waters”! I had observed, over the years, that this ‘Enlistment date’ was a frequently sought after item. I simply tried an experimental mathematical/Excel method of providing some data where, before, there had been none!
    The experiment has been a comparative failure! Those of us in the Met trade become used to things not turning out as we thought they should!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter please do not do that I personally think this is the best of both worlds a mathematical model (your Excel spreadsheet) backed up by Jonny’s accurate records from physical primary sources

All models get better when they can be compared with actual physical examples

Both methods have value here

Paul

Thanks

Hi all I would echo Paul`s sentiment, I am most grateful for all the replies to this thread. It has enlightened me on Georges service life and despite not having the benefit of his service record i am "off and running" with many lines of research. Thank you to all.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Peter please do not do that I personally think this is the best of both worlds a mathematical model (your Excel spreadsheet) backed up by Jonny’s accurate records from physical primary sources

All models get better when they can be compared with actual physical examples

Both methods have value here

Paul