Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W/O Byers - My Hardest Challenge Yet!

Thanks

Default W/O Byers - My Hardest Challenge Yet!

One of the No.1690 B(D)TF pilots I am trying to trace the lives of is W/O Byers. Unfortunately, I do not have his service number or initials. All I know about him is that he was detailed to fly some of the Unit's Martinets from RAF Scampton to RAF Winthorpe on 21st August 1944. Not much to go on, but I'm hoping one of the ridiculously knowledgeable people on here might be able to provide me with some clues. Thanks in advance folks........ Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: W/O Byers - My Hardest Challenge Yet!

Andrew, Hi,
    Interesting time today, and over the weekend. Couldn’t get into the TNA site until this morning (their servers running at 101% on Sat/Sun?). First day out of sheltered lockdown. The world is still there!!
    Not a lot of help, but I think I might have shortened the parameters?
    Eventually managed to get AIR 78/26/7 Images 233 to 253 (Byers) up on my screen.
    I manually transcripted from AIR 78 to an Excel s/sht. There’s a manageable number. Ordered them by Service Number. Removed the WAAFs, the very low Numbers, those appearing on CWGC, and those Enlisting after late WW2. This left me with 80 assorted male, RAF/VR, Byers’. I fed them through the LG. Not much use. (1) Byers, Hugh Rae, 1559355, A/Cpl Cmd Tech Br 25 Nov 43, (2) Byers, John, 1370797, LAC MiD Jun 45, (3) Byers, Norman John, 1340418, Sgt Cmd GD 22 Apr 43 (it is possible – but extremely unlikely – that he was T/L/A/WO at the time!).
    BUT – if you interrogate CWGC there is a 421158 Warrant Officer Peter William BYERS, RAAF, who died 26 Oct 1944 and who is on Runnymede.
    That – I am afraid – is the best I can do! I think I may have earned some light refreshment?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,

BYERS, Peter William - (Warrant Officer); Service Number - 421158; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster ND626; Place - Heligoland; Date - 26 October 1944, 166 Sqn

He was W/Op (Air), not a pilot.

Regards

Mojmir

Thanks

Wow, thank you guys - and I thought I was thorough! I never thought of taking your approach Peter, that is excellent, and thanks too Mojmir. Given that the Flight was sometimes used to 'rest' bomber crews, it could well be that my man is Peter William BYERS. I'm unable to look into this tomorrow, but will be on the case as soon as possible. Thanks again guys, it's great to get this sort of support - I just hope I can repay the favour in some way, at some point. Cheers again, Andrew

Thanks

"He was W/Op (Air), not a pilot.

Regards

Mojmir"

Hi Mojmir, I am SO sorry I didn't read your post properly - you're right, he was a W/Op, so that eliminates him from my investigations, so I guess it's back to square one - which serves me right for not reading things properly!

The search continues....

Thanks

Well, this is VERY EMBARRASSING! I've looked again, and I think this chap's surname might be 'Eyres' not 'Byers' - I should have gone to Specsavers! I tried to attach an image but can't work out how to do it.......

Thanks

Andrew, Hi,
    The Eyres are in TNA AIR 78/53/5 from Image 69 to Image 80. That’s only 11 pages, x8 = 88 slips. That’s a manageable number. I won’t have much time over the weekend, but if nobody has come up with a W/O Eyres in the next day, or so, I’ll give it a go.
    And we all mis-read dodgy writing/pix/script from time to time!! I fell about!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello All,
    Found some time last night to do a bit of excavating.
    Not much success. I found 73 male Eyres’ in TNA AIR 78/53/5 I- 69 to 80. Put their numbers through the LG. No Warrant Officer.
    BUT there are two GD Flt Sgts. Now these may (rpt, may) have been Acting/Warrant Officer – the LG doesn’t routinely deal with all Acting ranks. I think it differentiates for Temporary ranks on Commissioning? Subtle difference between the two! These two Flt Sgts were:-
    994771 Flt Sgt Frank Eyres Cmd RAFVR GD wef 7 Jul 1942, and
    1576584 Flt Sgt Edney Arthur Eyres Cmd RAFVR GD wef 20 Jan 1945
    Best I can do!

While excavating I came across a:-
    W C (William Charles) Eyres
    b. Q1 1899 Reg Hendon 3a 277
    1918 Enlisted 9963 in Block 516-1013 (Transfers from RFC (retaining RFC number?). Age 19(although his birth year is given as 1895?? in his Attestation).
    d. Q4 1963 Reg Thanet 5b 868 (age 64).
    This is the lowest RAF Service Number I’ve ever had any dealings with!
    I am still surprised how easily I can get side-tracked while looking for something else!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello,

One that might be of interest:

11 Feb 1943
    1485 (TT) Gunnery Flt*
    Manchester I L7391
    Training

T/o Fulbeck for an air firing detail, during which the starboard engine cut at 1,200 feet. Unable to keep the Manchester in the air, long enough to find an airfield, F/S Eyres forded-landed 1540 at Fishtoft Drove, some 2 miles SE from the centre of Boston, Lincolnshire. Total flying hours: 160.00.

F/S R Eyres.

See: BCL8/205.

* 1485 (TT)G Flt became 1485 (B)G Flt., in turn 1690 (B)DT Flt (15/02/1944).

See also: http://www.bcar.org.uk/new1943-incident-logs - 11/02/1943.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th July 2020 at 13:04.

Thanks

I found the following “R” or “R x” Forenamed Eyres:-

Eyres Raymond Charles 1462584
    Eyres Raymond David Watson 1806046
    Eyres Raymond Henry 2726874
    Eyres Reginald Douglas 1396962
    Eyres Richard 1003601
    Eyres Ronald 655044
    Eyres Ronald 3013852
    Eyres Ronald Peter 2556167
    Eyres Roy Gordon 1077139

The only one who came up in the LG was Roy Gordon (MiD Jun 45, but still only a Cpl!).
    Didn’t check the 2xxxxxx’s. They were NSA and would have been too late Enlisting.
    HTH
    Peter Davies