Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resurrecting MRES

Thanks

Default Re: Resurrecting MRES

Hi Jonny
    MoD release is basically what I am for, or not as the case may be. Where does one get it? If the Canadians and Australians have it available, why does the UK bar such release. Fully appreciate you caution re disrespectful enthusiasts and ordnance.
    Hi Mike
    The MoD letter clearly states Espenhain, which is just down the road from Bohlen, the target, in Eastern Germany, but also clearly states France. Have Googled the town and there's only the one. Typo? The town you found may be Dreiskau-Muckern, which is just to the north of Bohlem. Many towns in Eastern Germany changed their names following the Russian occupation. Knew about Snelling's card but not the circumstances of it's recovery. Is there a copy of it, or will it be lying in the MoD 'file'?
    Big Makk

Thanks

Hi Makk

I think there may be confusion with the Frenchman and France. I am pretty sure it is Espenhain near Leipzig. If you email me I will send you a copy of the Loss Card and a few other thoughts.

Mike

Thanks

Thanks Mike
    I agree on the location. Looking forward to the Loss Card and your thoughts.
    Apologies for delay in replying. Still finding my way around the site and it's protocols.
    Stewart

Thanks

Stewart,

I have sent you the Loss Card etc

Cheers Mike

Thanks

Cheers Mike
    All received
    Stewart

Thanks

Just wanted to add that it seems that seven of eight Lancaster's lost on this target, a synthetic oil plant, , none seem to have a known crash site. Although some crew became pow, most were killed, some have known graves while others are recorded on Runnymede Memorial.

https://www.backtonormandy.org/map-search.html#

Type in Bohlen, Germany and press "search" result will be Bohlen showing a/c . click on the a/c and serial and a/c type comes up, one is NG386.
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 10th July 2020 at 01:27.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lancasterlm342 View Post
    The loss card for NG386 states one dead - Snelling A W , based on an identity card(?) handed in by a Frenchman, obtained from an ex-pow, between Espenhain (south of Leipzig) and a place I cant quite make out - possibly something like M u c k a m e l (?).

There is no information regarding the rest of the crew.

HTH

Mike
    The text on the Loss Card reads: "Identity card found between Espenhain & Muckern by a Frenchman handed to them by ex-P.O.W."

Muckern and Dreiskau were originally two neighbouring by separate locales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Makk View Post
    Hi John, and others. Thanks for your replies. Your questions :-
    61 Squadron, Lancaster Mk 1, NG 386 (QR-P), took-off Skellingthorpe, Lincs, 23:45 20th March, 1945. Nothing heard after take-off. Believed crashed south of Leipzig though no recorded wreckage or remains of crew members. Awaiting replies from two potential sets of modern relatives. There were no Australians or Canadians on board. A later M.o.D. letter states that the aircraft crashed in France near a German sounding town, which is near the ‘target for tonight’ namely the Bohlen synthetic oil plant south of Leipzig. A name tag of one of the crew was the only item recorded as found.

184307 Flying Officer Kenneth William AINSWORTH, Pilot, b. 13 April, 1922, Preston, Lancs. Modern relatives traced with memorabilia.
    1146367 Sergeant Laurence Dorning MILLS, Flight Engineer, b. 17 Nov 1922, Preston, Lancs.
    163592 Flying Officer Raymond BREAKWELL, navigator, of Bath, Somerset. Modern relatives traced with substantial memorabilia.
    159994 Flying Officer Peter HAWKINS, air bombardier, of Mead Vale, Reigate, Surrey,
    1462497 Flight Sergeant Arthur William SNELLING, Wireless Operator, Bermondsey, London, b. c. 1922
    1678631 Sergeant Peter KITCHING, Air Gunner 1, Newport, Brough, Yorkshire, b. c. 1925
    1850986 Sergeant Francis Mervyn LANCASTER, Air Gunner 2, Worle, Somerset, b. c. 1924. Modern relatives traced.

I’m just wondering what to do, how to approach for a dormant MRES file to be re-opened. I could almost write the reply myself, but if you don’t try……
    Has anyone any success or even attempted to do it?

Big Makk
    My dad was the rear gunner in RF123 on that op.He was one of 2 Lancashire lads in the crew