Thread: Target Maps on display at briefings

Thanks

Default Target Maps on display at briefings

I have been reviewing some of the "Briefing Notes" recorded by the Station Intelligence Officer for Middleton St. George. He refers to the target area and specific locations denoted by letters, i.e. for Neuss November 27/28, 1944: 300 yds 314o from "A". I presume he is referencing a map.

I would guess the Base intelligence section would have a collection of such maps for many targets, available in advance of operations, as I think it would be unlikely that these would be drawn up specifically for the occasion. Have many of these survived? Am I correct that these would have been on an easel in the room? I'm curious if anyone has any specifics on these.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Target Maps on display at briefings

Hi Jim,

He's referencing the Zone Map. Not sure whether there are examples of these in the TNA map section, but I stumbled across the Zone Map and attendant documentation for Berlin in AIR 14/848 'Operational Use of Aircraft Fitted with H2S'. Berlin had three targets marked up - A (Friedrichstrasse Mainline and Underground Stations), B (German Air Ministry) and C (cluster of 4 'important departmental buildings' - Foreign Office, Gestapo HQ, Min Propaganda and the Reich Presidential Chancellery). They're all fairly close together - within a mile - but FWIW all operations during the Battle of Berlin were given as bearing and range from Berlin B.

The Int Officer's Handbook recommends putting up 'photographs, target maps and illustrations' in the briefing room for crews to study before and after the briefing itself. Information to be made available includes Target Map, Town dossier, Bomber's Baedeker, Comd/Gp Briefing Notes, Damage Assessment Reports, Industrial Damage Reports, photographs etc.

The Briefing Map should not be 'elaborate', but should include defended areas, decoys near the target, radar coverage, PoW camps near the target, friendly convoys, Occults and Home Beacon. the route should be marked out with coloured wool and small a/c symbols to show direction. Track marking and PFF technique should be marked up in what we'd now call 'call out boxes'. Other info marked up might include RV, areas for dropping Nickel etc.

You get a good impression of this from the film 'Night Bombers'.

HTH,

Richard

Thanks

Default Re: Target Maps on display at briefings

A “belated” than you Richard. These don’t seem to be attached to any of the ORBs at Library and Archives Canada. I’m presuming it will be some time before they allow in person visits at some of these facilities.

Jim