Thread: Bowden Training Airfield Canada, Ron Brierly, Frank Elkins, Pete Laker, Peter Baldwin

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Bowden Training Airfield Canada, Ron Brierly, Frank Elkins, Pete Laker, Peter Baldwin

Hi -
    Have lovely photo album featuring these individuals - 1941/42
    Also Kenneth Read.

Photos taken in Canada at the training airbase BOWDEN Alberta, Canada.

Includes detained shot of Cornell II aircraft.

Does the names or the place connect with anyone?

Thanks

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Re: Bowden Training Airfield Canada, Ron Brierly, Frank Elkins, Pete Laker, Peter Bal

Malcolm,
    Bowden Alberta was the home of No. 32 Elementary Flying Training School. This was one of the R.A.F Schools transferred to Canada.

1941/42 is too early for a Cornell. In 1942 DH.82C Tiger Moths and PT-27 Kaydet (Stearman) were in use. The Kaydets were returned to the USA circa Dec '42/Jan '43 and the Tiger Moths remained until May/June1943 when the Cornells began to replace them. The Cornells remained in service until the closure of the school in September 1944.

If the names are those of students it is unlikely you will find mention of them in the unit diary - unless one them pranged! If they were instructors you may find their names mentioned.
    Unit diary here - May 1, 1943 selected.

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_c12340/200?r=0&s=1"

I would be interested to see the album images. Try and contact me through the forum's PM system. If you are a new member this may not work.

Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Default Re: Bowden Training Airfield Canada, Ron Brierly, Frank Elkins, Pete Laker, Peter Bal

Thanks Tony - the diary is fascinating.
    I shall try and get some images scanned very soon.
    Kind Regards
    Malc