Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TNA (National Archives UK) News Updates

Thanks

Default Re: TNA website down?

It worked intermittently for me all day today, i was able to view some of the ORBs. so my only advice is to keep trying at regular intervals

Thanks

As everyone knows, they have announced 'limited' re-opening for the 21st July, and maybe a lot of people are trying to panic search/download all the free stuff before it ends, maybe overwhelming their server. Just a thought.
    Andrew

Thanks

Seems to be woking okay this morning - I can actually log in for first time in a few days, and managed to download some items.

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 13th July 2020 at 08:54.
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Visitor bookings now open for the week after next at Kew. Get in quick they go really fast.

Chris

Thanks

Sadly my readers ticket expired and attempts to renew it before it ran out (pre-covid) were met with huge queues. Unless I can renew online, no more TNA for me.

Thanks

PNK

The booking system does mention how people without a current readers card can book a slot. When I originally got mine it was fairly straight forward, it shouldn't be too difficult to renew then view files on the same day. It does look like they are allocating one person per table as opposed to the normal availability of six per table. They are also only allowing six pre-ordered files with another three reserves in case they are unavailable. I managed to get a spot for Friday 31st July. I will report back on what it is like now, extra measures etc.

Chris

Thanks

it's rubbish this morning...

Richard

Thanks

The latest TNA newsletter, out today, addresses the issue, as follows:

-------------------------------------

Service disruption on our website

We are currently experiencing intermittent disruption to our online services and in particular our online catalogue, Discovery, as well as parts of our website.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
    -------------------------------------

That's it. Not a lot, but at least they're acknowledging the issue and working on rectifying it.

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello

Chris, thanks in advance for reporting about your visit "in person" at Kew. I'm considering a visit there myself in August, I usually manage day visits from France which are busy but worthwile. I was intending to make a "bulk order" but I understand from your message there's a limit to six files per person. If so, it's really uneconomic for me to travel just just 6 files (+ 3 reserve).

Joss

Thanks

Joss,
    not only how many files you can order, thats not the end of it, but also depending on how BIG the files are you need time, lots of time, to actually wade through them, to process them, to read them. If you are going to record them that also will take time. I would say half a dozen plus 3 is a reasonable amount to get through in a day. Every couple of hours I need to break and go downstairs for a cup of coffee, you need to. Under normal circumstances, I would also advise visiting on the day that it is open 'late' to 7.00pm, I think Thursdays, to get the maximum time, HOWEVER,.... the limited openings next week are roughly 10.00am to 2.30pm and no Saturdays, which is next to pointless for anyone travelling from any distance, and I can only make Saturdays, which means I have to wait until it all gets back to normal. I find it better, and tend to record documents on my ipad, as its easy to see the detail and aline the pages to the screen. I see people all the time very casually flicking pages and clicking merrily away on their phones and think "half those pages will be toatally illegible when you open them on the pc". Whilst waiting for documents to delivered, bear in mind TNA has a very nice library also to browse and read stuff.
    Andrew