Thread: Navigatorís Route chart for Chemnitz, March 5/6, 1945.

Thanks

Default Navigatorís Route chart for Chemnitz, March 5/6, 1945.

I provided a link to the McMaster University digital maps in an earlier thread. I discovered this Navigator’s Route chart for Chemnitz, March 5/6, 1945 in the collection. Dad was on this op.

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/i...acrepo%3A81931

I uploaded the coordinates to Google Maps and they are the same route, confirmed with the Bomber Command night raid reports.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...-Q&usp=sharing

However, I am having difficulty understanding the times marked on the chart. The time marked at the target (2047) seems to be earlier by about one hour, when compared with my father’s bombing time (2153) and also those in other ORBs. If they were local Chemnitz time they would be one hour later.

Thoughts?

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Navigatorís Route chart for Chemnitz, March 5/6, 1945.

Hi Jim
    On Mar 5-6 1945, 'local' times in the U.K. and Germany were the same, both being GMT+1hr.
    So maybe the chart was actually showing GMT time.
    Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 12th July 2020 at 19:19.

Thanks

Ian. I think you must be correct. Dad used to talk about ďDouble British Summer TimeĒ which was 2 hours offset from GMT. That was in summer.

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim
    Yes, it got a bit complicated as we had GMT, BST and DBST. The Germans had CET and GST. The swap-over dates didn't always coincide and at one point 'local' UK time was even AHEAD of the local time in Germany!!
    Last edited by ianh; 12th July 2020 at 19:40.

Thanks

Jim, I have finally managed to get a look at the info you sent. The thing that struck me when I looked at the 6 Group Form B was the amount of time the aircraft were required to have their H2S systems on. From 5į30í E on the outward leg to the 5į30í E on the inward leg; about 4 hrs. That seems a a very long time to have an active device transmitting. Otherwise I still have much to look at. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks Terry: Yes. A long time. It’s a devil if you do and a devil if you don’t issue. Wakelam reports on ORS’s review of H2S and there is an ongoing discussion of operational error in use of H2S. I know from my own experience that you don’t learn how to use a radar set if it is switched off during fair conditions and only switched on when you get in the fog. You can only relate what is on the screen with what you see when you look out the window when it’s on during good conditions. My radar is always on and I’m always confirming what is on the screen with what I see through the window. So when they can’t use it crossing the coast they don’t have the opportunity to see how it works at it’s best: land-water interface. One other issue with radar: I’d be surprised if WWII units had any decent anti-clutter filtering such as is currently available on units. I’d be surprised if H2S would be useful at all penetrating cloud during heavy rain or icing conditions. Note that crews encountered extreme icing during the Chemnitz raid, and not just over England.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 25th July 2020 at 14:47.