Thread: Raf army cooperation

Thanks

Default Raf army cooperation

In February 1942 Colonel C.R. Major left Auxiliary Units, Churchill's secret resistance organisation to help form the RAF Regiment. Has anyone seen any reference to him with the RAF Regiment or one suggestion is that he may have gone to the RAF Army Cooperation Command.

Would that have been active in 1943?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Raf army cooperation

Not someone I have come across in regards to the RAF Regiment, and I have an pretty extensive collection of books on the RAF Armoured Car Companies, and RAF Regiment. He would be an unusual choice for the Regiment, with his background. If he served in the Far East maybe he was involved in Force 136 (SOE)

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Some info from Army Unit Histories (which you may have already seen ?)

https://www.unithistories.com/office...icers_M01.html

Cyril Ralph "Bill" Major

Education: Coniston and Bridport Grammar School.
    ? - 28.08.1917 served in the ranks Territorial Force for 2 years, 349 days (18.02.1916-05.02.1917 in Mesopotamia)
    28.03.1918 - 09.04.1918 served in Mesopotamia
    10.04.1918 - 31.10.1918 Egyptian Expeditionary Force
    16.11.1918 commissioned, The Dorsetshire Regiment
    24.01.1927 - 24.11.1927 special appointment (Class GG), Shanghai Defence Force and Nothern China (temporarily)
    04.05.1928 transferred, The York and Lancaster Regiment
    30.09.1929 - 29.09.1933 General Staff Officer, 3rd grade (GSO3), War Office
    17.05.1937 transferred, The Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) [regimental seniority as Capt. of 10.04.1929]
    21.10.1936 - 23.04.1940 General Staff Officer, 2nd grade (GSO2), War Office
    1940 - 1940 General Staff Officer, 1st grade (GSO1)
    11.1940 - 02.1942 Commander, Auxiliary Units (for special duties under direction of GHQ Home Forces)
    1942 - ? served with RAF Regiment
    (06.1945) - 1946 Director of Psychological Warfare, HQ Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia
    Attached War Office, 1946-1954.
    Last edited by bvs; 14th July 2020 at 07:53. Reason: Adding Link

Thanks

From British Resistance Archive
    https://www.staybehinds.com/cyril-ralph-major

Colonel Cyril Ralph “Bill” Major

23 Feb 1942 He was appointed Command Defence Officer [RAF Regt] 23rd February 1942 [possibly notified as a War Office order before this date, 15th perhaps?] I would suspect his previous involvement with the RAF in 1926 was the reason behind his appointment to the newly formed RAF Regt, as during 1926 he qualified as Branch Intelligence Officer at RAF Old Sarum [near to Salisbury] and as an instructor: Interpretation of Air Photographs [Farnborough]
    Last edited by bvs; 14th July 2020 at 09:54.

Thanks

He was, clearly, one of those people who – when you asked “Where is so-and-so these days?” – had ‘gone off the radar’ for a few years. You never got a clear reply, and ‘those in authority’ would never admit to knowing where he was, or admit that the job he was doing actually, officially, even existed! Been a lot of ‘em (and still!!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    From British Resistance Archive
    https://www.staybehinds.com/cyril-ralph-major

Colonel Cyril Ralph “Bill” Major
    I find it odd, but not necessarily surprising for the war, that someone who may have been involved in the very early days of the RAF Regiment isn't mentioned in any of the books, or the documents I have (though I admit I don't have everything related to the formation of the RAF Regiment as my primary interest is in the RAF ACC in the interwar period). If he played a part I can't think what it would be considering how independent the Regiment felt it needed to be after the failures of Army-RAF co-operation in airfield defence in Britain, and lack of army support during the early stages of the Burma campaign. On the other hand, maybe he was chosen as a liaison just to smooth over ruffled RAF feathers. I'll keep digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    He was, clearly, one of those people who – when you asked “Where is so-and-so these days?” – had ‘gone off the radar’ for a few years. You never got a clear reply, and ‘those in authority’ would never admit to knowing where he was, or admit that the job he was doing actually, officially, even existed! Been a lot of ‘em (and still!!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    I agree, Peter, though to make it look official and above board I would have expected a public paper trail e.g an LG announcement stating he had been transferred to the RAF etc

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    I find it odd, but not necessarily surprising for the war, that someone who may have been involved in the very early days of the RAF Regiment isn't mentioned in any of the books, or the documents I have (though I admit I don't have everything related to the formation of the RAF Regiment as my primary interest is in the RAF ACC in the interwar period). If he played a part I can't think what it would be considering how independent the Regiment felt it needed to be after the failures of Army-RAF co-operation in airfield defence in Britain, and lack of army support during the early stages of the Burma campaign. On the other hand, maybe he was chosen as a liaison just to smooth over ruffled RAF feathers. I'll keep digging.

A
    C R Major was a very experienced Staff Officer,so possibly helping out with planning/organisation etc behind the scenes.

rgds baz