Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sardinia - RAF Bomber Casualty?

Thanks

Default Sardinia - RAF Bomber Casualty?

Hello!

I'm working from bits of information and due to the language barrier, I have only managed to piece the following information from a Sardinian local.
    I would be most grateful if anyone tell me where I could find a list of RAF casualties in Sardinia or even better, if someone has actually come across this specific incident?

"A RAF bomber crashed in Sardinia. Currently, the wreckage is situated 100 meters from the Sardinian coast and buried 30m deep in the sand. The wreckage can be reached. One serviceman was taken in by a local family, who gave him civilian clothes. He escaped and left his RAF tunic with the family. One serviceman got caught and was taken away."

Sorry for the lack of information. I asked the Sardinian guy for more info but he hasn't given me anymore than this. I am guessing partly, the fact that he can't be bothered and the other being that he, himself, doesn't know much about the incident either...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: Sardinia - RAF Bomber Casualty?

Yeoldbarn, Hello - and Welcome,
    The coast of Sardinia is about 450 nm round. It might help if you could indicate - even roughly - which bit of that coast this wreck is near?
    There were/are one or two fairly important airfields on Sardinia (a number of us may actually have been to some of them!). They would have been important during the time the Afrika Corps was in N Africa.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Yeoldbarn, Hello - and Welcome,
    The coast of Sardinia is about 450 nm round. It might help if you could indicate - even roughly - which bit of that coast this wreck is near?
    There were/are one or two fairly important airfields on Sardinia (a number of us may actually have been to some of them!). They would have been important during the time the Afrika Corps was in N Africa.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Mr Davies,

Judging by his location, I believe it is in the southern coast of Sardinia around the Quartu Sant'Elena region in the city of Cagliari?
    Apparently, there were two airfields (maybe more but I know of two): Decimomannu and Monserrato.
    It seems like a joint USAF and RAF bombing campaign was aimed at the city of Cagliari! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombin...n_World_War_II
    So the crash would've happened anytime between 1940-1943, the North African Campaign, as you mentioned!

Thanks

Hello

That's typically the needle in the haystack ! In order for forum members to help you, it's better to have some détails already collected, like a date, or a good restriction of date, or names of the airmen involved. If a tunic has survived with the Sardinian family, maybe there was a name on a label, etc... Has contact been kept after the war ? It arrived sometimes.
    I don't know about Sardinia, but there may be some local archives about WW2 event, like police reports, etc...

There are lots of resources onlines, but researching them is time consuming, especially with so few elements to start with.

As Peter emphasised, too many planes, too many possibilities so far. You need to find local clues

Good luck

Joss

PS : don't use the "with quote" option, unless there are several pages in the discussion, which is not yet the case.
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 16th July 2020 at 14:26. Reason: added PS

Thanks

Sorry, Joss. Newbie here and I use the quote function regularly on different forums so apologies if that isn't the norm here.
    I'm not usually unorganised like this but the Sardinian fellow has been really uncooperative and doesn't want to help me out.
    I've asked for more detail like as you mentioned, the name on the tunic (he has it) or the year of the accident or the type of aircraft but he just ignores me.
    I thought it would be best for me to seek out for some help on this research because Sardinia is a pretty small region, I assumed that there would be less to look through.
    If you have a database of air casualties you could direct me to, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

There doesn’t appear to be an Aviation Museum, as such, in Sardinia, but the Cagliari Museum (Website: http://museoarcheocagliari.beniculturali.it/) should know about the supposedly buried a/c (although 30m(??) down does seem slightly too deep?). If they don’t know, they may know who – locally on Sardinia – does?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I will try to ask him for more details. He claims that he was able to find pieces of the wreckage buried in the sand and was able to retrieve bits and pieces including a mangled RAF cap.

Thanks

Dambuster 617 Sqn

F/L R.C HAY DFC & Bar RAAF 12/2/1944 St Michael's Cem, Cagliara, Sardinia

https://dambustersblog.com/category/bob-hay/

Killed by cannon shell, aircraft landed Sardinia

Mark

Thanks

Mark, many thanks for your contribution! I haven't heard of the Dambusters incident before. Sadly, it seems this is a later event and the Lancaster 'Popsie' managed to land safely at an American base in Cagliari not a crash landing like my incident. But thank you for the help.

(Account from Alex Bateman's book on the bomb aimer Hay's accident below)

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

According to CWGC, there are 39 other aircrew buried in the same Cagliari cemetery as Bob Hay, the earliest DoD being 7 Feb 1943. I'd suggest that a search on CWGC for the other war cemeteries on Sardinia might be a good place to start.
    http://dambustersblog.com
    http://www.breakingthedams.com