Thread: F/Lt Shacklzwem???

Thanks

Default F/Lt Shacklzwem???

This is neat wartime cap I acquired some time ago and the surname of the owner (a Flight Lieutenant) has faded away.
    Can anyone recognise the letters? I've spent a good hour or two today just examining the letters but no luck...
    It looks like 'F/Lt Shacklzew or Stacklzem or Shacklwem'?? I'm pretty confident with the first four letters, which are Shac or Stac but after that the fading is too bad.
    I think someone might've stolen the cap from the owner and tried to rub out the name because other writings are very clear. (see last photo)
    Given his what I've managed to find out, he could be a Czech or Polish RAF pilot but not too sure on that.

I thought it would be worth a shot just putting it up here on the forum, if anyone was interested in decoding as a fun mystery.
    If you do come up with something, would be interested to hear your thoughts!

With best wishes,

yeoldbarn

Thanks

Default Re: F/Lt Shacklzwem???

yeoldbarn, Hi,

Working from basic principles, and using CWGC (where you can use the ‘wild card’ system on Surnames) there are 6 RAF/WW2 SHAC* Surnames:
    SHACKELL
    SHACKLADY
    SHACKLEFORD
    SHACKLETON
    SHACKLEY
    SHACKMAN

There are 5 STAC* Surnames:
    STACE
    STACEY
    STACHNIK
    STACHURSKI
    STACK

I’m not suggesting that this cap belonged to a casualty, but it’s a start to try to identify possible Surnames!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

My guess would be Shackleton.

In photo 3 the last letter looks 'N'-ish.

Ian

Thanks

F/Lt G. Shackleton - bomber pilot in the 114 Squadron. Joined RAFVR on June 5th, 1940 and was posted to RAF West Raynham in Norfolk post-training. Flew on 29 successful missions and published book in 2006.