Thread: No 1557 (Radio Aids Training) Flt

Thanks

Default No 1557 (Radio Aids Training) Flt

I have a picture of my father stood with other aircrew members outside a Lancaster tail code PA445 and a unit code of AB. This is apparently a Lancaster B1 and code AB is No 1557 (Radio Aids Training) Flt. Does anyone know where this unit was located?

Thanks

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Are you absolutely sure about the code "AB"? Lancaster I PA445, was coded A3-M and was with No.230 Operational Conversion Unit, or possibly with No.1653 Conversion Unit, which also operated "A3" coded Lancasters prior to redesignation to 230 OCU (15.3.47). Any date/location on the photograph?

Re: No.1557 Radio Aids Training Flight. Was to have formed 20.9.45 at Fairford with 8 Oxford, but never actually came into existence. Code allocated: AB.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th March 2019 at 14:11.

Thanks

Default Re: No 1557 (Radio Aids Training) Flt

Hello Col

Sorry that I haven't thanked you sooner but I forgot that I had posted my request for information on here. It appears that you are correct and that the code is A3 not AB though it is difficult to tell in the picture. It was probably taken whilst at 230 OCU as my dad's record shows him at RAF Lindholme 5 Mar 48 to 16 Apr 48 prior to his posting to 83 Sqn on Lincoln's.