Thread: F/Sgt Harry Arthur Charles Hammond DFM, RAFVR 1214979, Flight Engineer, 156 Sqn

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Harry Arthur Charles Hammond DFM, RAFVR 1214979, Flight Engineer, 156 Sqn

I'm asking on behalf of my friend Peter Wheeler. Does anyone here have any information on:
    F/Sgt Harry Arthur Charles Hammond DFM, RAFVR 1214979,
    Flight Engineer, No. 156 Squadron
    On the J. Wright Crew July-October 1943, Tour expired December 1943, posted to 1662 CU

Peter would like to find out more such as:
    - his service as a groundie during the Battle of Britain an any previous service as groundcrew or as a Flight Engineer
    - When he arrived on No. 156 Sqn to crew with the Kiwis, he already had a DFM but we donít have access to Tavenders "For Their Courage" which apparently lists all the RAF DFM details
    - Peter's really keen to find out his history and even his postwar career.

Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: F/Sgt Harry Arthur Charles Hammond DFM, RAFVR 1214979, Flight Engineer, 156 Sqn

Hello,

Details of Hammond's DFM (which was awarded after he left No.156 Squadron, not before he arrived):

HAMMOND, Harry Arthur Charles. 1214979 Act. Flight Sergeant, No.156 Sqn. L.G. 10/12/1943. Flight Engineer. Press Release.

This airman has displayed great coolness and courage in many emergencies. On one occasion he was flight engineer in an aircraft detailed to attack Berlin. During the outward flight, the starboard inner engine became seriously overheated and caught fire. This engine was immediately feathered but the aircraft began to lose height and the fuel speed supercharger was rendered unserviceable. By skilful manipulation of the engines, Flight Sergeant Hammond was able to give his pilot the maximum power obtainable and it was largely due to his skill that a safe landing was eventually made at base. He has on many occasions given his captain valuable assistance.

See:
    The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War with Official Recommendation Details. Volume I, A-J,
    Tavender,Ian.
    London:Savannah Publications,2000.
    p.809.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/5381

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 23rd July 2020 at 08:43.

Thanks

Default Re: F/Sgt Harry Arthur Charles Hammond DFM, RAFVR 1214979, Flight Engineer, 156 Sqn

Thank you, I will pass this on.

Thanks

Hello,

I pass this on, without further comment:

https://75nzsquadron.wordpress.com/tag/sl-jack-wright

Col.

Thanks

Thanks, yes I am sure Peter is aware of that but again I'll let him know.