Thread: Inclement weather and Radar during WWII

Thanks

Default Inclement weather and Radar during WWII

I have recently been researching the available documents I have for the raid on Hagen, for the night of December 2, 1944. The Icing conditions that night was a recurring complaint that crews had in the ORB's. Marking that night was poor. Dad's navigator told me he considered the raid a failure. Dad noted Heavy Icing and that they bombed on Gee--Most crews bombed on Gee. The raid was not a failure. Bomber Command's night raid report for this operation reports photo reconnaissance on December 13th revealed that damage was caused over the entire area. The plant of Accumulatoren Fabrik A.G., a priority 1 target, was severely damaged with most of the major buildings being affected. The main building of the Stahlwerke Harkort-Eicken G.m.b.H. in the Wehringhausen district was also severely damaged and other buildings of Harkort-Eicken were destroyed. Residential and business property east of the main station received many hits.

Bomber Command also noted the difficult weather conditions were probably a severe handicap to the considerable force of enemy fighters sent to intercept the force and only one bomber failed to return. Boiten and McKenzie report that He.219 crews were scrambled from the Munster area but none were successful, reporting strong Window jamming, with the crews losing their targets in the heavy clouds. II./NJG1 had similar difficulties because of the bad weather, becoming airborne from Dusseldorf at 20:45 hrs on ungefuhrte Zahme Sau. All crews reported clouds rising to 5.600 m, severe icing and no reception on their RT equipment.

Here's what I know about my own radar set on my boat in heavy rain. I have to really crank up the anti-clutter feature and it filters out weak returns and sometimes other vessels, particularly at long range. It is a very good, Furuno 4' open array. I would highly doubt that WWII radar sets, ground or air-based, allied or German, would have had sophisticated anti-clutter technology. Boiten and McKenzie allude to the difficulties that the Luftwaffe had that night, and I'd be surprised if it was entirely due to Window counter measures.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 25th July 2020 at 15:31.

Thanks

Default Re: Inclement weather and Radar during WWII

Clutter theory. A lot of math!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutter_(radar)

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 25th July 2020 at 15:42.