Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maritime Aviation 1942-VE-Day

Thanks

Default Maritime Aviation 1942-VE-Day

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In late February, I confirmed that Ross was not intending to go ahead with his work on Coastal Command losses. He had no objection to my ‘taking up the cudgel’ and I have started to scope how I might carry this forward.

I am very much open to ideas as to how best to carry forward Ross’s valuable work and am mindful that he also included a significant amount of extra information in his book but I have formulated some ideas as listed below.

First, I propose to use the format as for my own books, although, as indicated above, this is not as comprehensive as the approach Ross used with Coastal Command Losses – Vol 1 (CCL1).

I see there to be two possible routes. First, I could include all CC losses or second, I can concentrate on maritime patrol aircraft (Catalina, Sunderland. Liberator etc). My thinking at present, is along the lines of the second option, to produce a volume of maritime losses from 1942 up to VE-Day and then have another volume dealing with attack aircraft (Mosquito, Beaufighter) alternatively there would be a two volume approach for all CC aircraft.

I would be delighted to learn of any advice and would be pleased to welcome, with a ‘by’ line, anybody who wants to get stuck into the project with me.

Colin Cummings

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Jagan (26th July 2020),wwrsimon (27th July 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Maritime Aviation 1942-VE-Day

I vote for the second "on maritime patrol aircraft (Catalina, Sunderland. Liberator etc). "

Colin, as a proud owner of the "Colin Cumming's Aircraft Losses" set of books, may i suggest that you include one feature?

Please consider including the name of the aircrew - regardless of the fact they were a fatality or not!

Thanks

Well Colin you’ve been overwhelmed with enthusiastic responses!!

I understand that you might want the book(s) to reflect your "house style" but personally I would prefer the book to be the same as all the Midland Counties wartime “Losses” series. When Volume 2 of “Bomber Losses in the ME and Med” was published by Air Britain I hoped that we would see Volume 2 of “Coastal Command Losses” published in the same way both in terms of content and layout/presentation. From correspondence with Ross many years ago I understood that he had Volume 2 of “Coastal Command Losses” finished, formatted and ready to go in the standard “Losses” format at the time Midland Counties went belly up (or whatever happened).

I would prefer the losses of all CC types to be recorded in continuous date order if necessary broken into 2 further volumes rather than have the anti-shipping types operations and losses separated out. Can I ask why you propose that?

Steve

Thanks

Colin

Firstly, do I take it that as you are looking towards continuing Ross's work that your current Magnum Opus on Training losses is finished ??? I hope so!!!

Secondly, I would prefer a single book or multiple books in chronological date order - It is just a bit easier to find stuff if you know an approx date but not a type etc and does follow ion from your previous works - also I know people who get excited on this type of thing will of the Oh why did he do the attack aircraft after maritime I was after that Beaufighter incident in 1942 and I will have to wait :-( Easier to wait for year than a type....

Also you are aware I take it of Alex' Smarts work on this http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/for...oastal-Command

Good luck

PS do you have a crewman for

8 Nov 1941 - T5498 - 26 EFTS at Guinea Fowl, Rhodesia (whilst landing the aircraft was subjected to a strong gust of wind and its starboard wing struck the ground, before it overturned)

There is a thread on ABIX from the son of a pilot Robert Denney who was involved in a Tiger Moth incident in Nov 1941 at 26 EFTS

Best Wishes

Paul

Thanks

Colin

I'm sure we'll all be very happy and most grateful for whichever version/format you decide to do, but as a personal preference I'd also go for following Ross's existing Volume 1 layout, including all CC losses.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

I'd also vote for the style used in Ross's CC Losses Vol 1. I know its a purely personal perspective, but I am comfortable with this format. I find it easy to navigate and it contains the information I need to know in an easy, consumable, chunks.

Well done on taking this project forward. I wish you the best of luck in the endeavour.

Kind rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hello Colin,
    I as others note, seem to recall that Ross had his volume 2 ready to be published. So surely that would be an easy first for you to take on, perhaps with any additional details and/or Correction's.
    Also as others have suggested it would be fitting if you could follow the BCL and CC format that we all are familure with.
    Whatever you decide will I am sure will be greatly welcomed by all.
    Good luck
    Alex

Thanks

Paul,

Thanks for your views at Post 4.
    As regards the Tiger Moth T5498, this is obviously a record that I have missed and I have no information on it at all. I have been to the Air Britain serials and they show the info as you have stated. I can't explain why I didn't pick up the record from the RAF Form 1180s

Colin

Thanks

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I wanted to update those interested in the Thread relating to Coastal Command losses and I hope this post will answer some questions received recently.

First, Ross McNeill has provided me with a great deal of data, which will form the basis of taking forward the first book of one or more additional Coastal Command losses. My first reaction is that there is probably sufficient information for at least two books, particularly if they include narratives about the operations etc and also the OTUs.

I see my first task as getting a suitable publisher identified but if the terms are not favourable, then the chap who produces my books would be interested in taking the task on. I appreciate that the format used by Bill Chorley is well known and popular with many and I will be trying Air Britain first.

Some of you have commented that I don’t include non-fatal casualties but Ross’s work does and it will incorporate those injured or unharmed. Of course the ‘intellectual property’ of the work done so far belongs to Ross and it will be his ‘BY’ line that will appear on the finished article!

I have long been encouraged to continue the accident books that I produce and I believe the coastal losses fit a niche that so far remains unfilled. I have no idea how long it will be before anything is published and my own experience has shown how hopeless my estimates have been in the past. I can only say: WATCH THIS SPACE!

Colin Cummings

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Jagan (6th August 2020),Luc Vervoort (5th August 2020),wwrsimon (5th August 2020)

Thanks

Colin,
    And don't forget the guys who flogged for hours over the Oggin - and often came back with salt-spray dried on leading-edges and windscreens. The Met Recce crews/Sqns deserve their niche in this forthcoming opus! We will help if we can!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!