Thread: G.H.H.Maxwell

Thanks

Default G.H.H.Maxwell

I am seeking information on G.H.H.Maxwell. He retired as Group Captain in 1946 but I am unable to find any more information.
    I did find an individual of the name George Henry Hope Maxwell, who served in the Royal Flying Corps but I am not able to confirm.
    I would very much appreciate if someone could shed some light on G/C Maxwell's service and his deployment and etc.

With best wishes,

Thanks

Default Re: G.H.H.Maxwell

George Henry Hope MAXWELL, M.B.,. Ch.B., D.P.H. (14139)

So he was a medical doctor - what is you question about "G.H.H.Maxwell."

Sept 1941
    MEDICAL BRANCH.
    Wing Commanders to be Group Captains
    (temporary).

George Henry Hope MAXWELL, M.B.,
    Ch.B., D.P.H. (14139).

Thanks

Born c.1894, died 1961.

George Henry Hope Maxwell is mentioned in a few pre-war newspaper articles on FindMyPast.

The Scotsman of March 24th 1915 records him being awarded a Second Class Honours in 'Practical Materia Medica.'

In the Sheffield Telegraph, December 3rd 1930, in a report on the inquest into a doctor's suicide at the Marine Aircraft experimental station at Felixstowe, in which Maxwell is described as the senior medical officer at the station.

He's mentioned in the Hampshire Telegraph of January 3rd 1936, in a list of Air Ministry half yearly promotions in the Medical Branch from Squadron Leader to Wing Commander, listed as George Henry Hope Maxwell M.B.

From ancestry.co.uk, his Marriage Banns dated April 30th 1920 record him as a 'doctor in the R.A.F., R.A.F. Hospital, Halton Camp, Bucks.'

He's on a passenger list on the 'Mantola' arrving in London from Port Said in May 1936, where he is recorded as being Wing Commander, R.A.F. and his address is given the Cumberland Hotel, Marble Arch.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

yeoldbarn (28th July 2020)

Thanks

George Henry Hope Maxwell 14139 retired as a Group Captain in 1948. He was a medical doctor. He was a Wing Commander in 1936.

He was born c. 1893 and studied medicine at Edinburgh University starting in 1911

He married in 1920

He died in Cheshire in 1961.

That's all I can find

Chris

Thanks

Many thanks everyone! Found him on the Air Force List as Deputy Medical Officer.