Thread: Unknown Sqn Whitleys & Battles Villeneuve

Thanks

Default Unknown Sqn Whitleys & Battles Villeneuve

Sorry this is quite a long request, but some background information might
    help!

I am trying to find out more about the owner of a log book who flew a number
    of raids during the early months of the war. The man in question was ground crew
    (admin) and went to France after beeing called up from the RAF Reserve.

He was based with 6 ASP AASF, and his operations include:

19/11/39 Whitley F/L C. E. Chilton Villeneuve/Germany Leaflet dropping
    14/12/39 Whitley P/O M. Osborne Villeneuve/Austria Leaflet dropping
    21/01/40 Whitley F/L R. Castle Villeneuve/Germany Leaflet dropping
    03/03/40 Battle Sgt. Abercrombie Villeneuve/Chalons/Verdun Reconnaisance

After his return to England he takes part in more operations all of which seem to be
    from RAF Leeming in Whitleys (including 4/9/40 Leeming Hamburg with F/O Warren).

I would like to try and find out which Squadrons he would have been flying with from France
    as I would guess being with 6 Air Stores Park, he would have fitted in with most units. I was
    hoping that some forum members might have come across his pilots names during their
    research. I had wondered if he could have been with 10 Squadron as they were later at Leeming.

There is also an operation with S/L Bufton DFC classed as being Channel Ports Nursery Flight
    and I was wondering what a Nursery Flight could be.

Any help would be great.

Johnnie

Thanks

Could be 105 Sq.

Thanks

Hi
    The Battle flight could have been with 105 which was based or detached at Villeneuve from Sept '39 to 22 May 1940. It was withdrawn to Honington in Jun 1940 and converted to Blenheim IV's( RAF Squadrons , C G Jefford) but never flew Whitleys
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it could have been 10 Squadron as he seems to have flown a few ops with them later from Leeming (perhaps stayed with them),
    or possibly 77 Squadron as they were also flying Whitleys from Villeneuve at that period.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hi Johnnie,

Chilton is the only bod listed in the Feb 1939 list and he is recorded as posted to Bomber Command HQ as as S/L (seniority 1937) for navigational responsibility.

Castle does not appear in either the Feb or May 1939 lists (nor earlier between the wars lists).

S O Bufton was gazetted for his DFC 22/11/40 as a W/C of 10 Sqn. He had been a W/C since 01/06/40.

So some retrospective entries it would seem if Bufton is listed as a S/L with DFC.

What was your mans name?
    Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Johnnie

10, 77 and 102 Sqns all had Whitley detachments at Villeneuve and spent time at Leeming, so it could possibly be any of these. Is there any chance of a scan of the relavent pages? If you can do this, I will check for you when I next go to the National Archives.

A nursery flight was probably an introductory sortie for a new pilot - at the start of WW2 Whitley ops were carried out with a second pilot for experience purposes, with the more senior pilot as captain. This stopped as losses mounted.

Hope that is helpful!
    Elliott Smock
    ++ 44 (0)7890 892147

Thanks

Thanks for both of those replies. Whitley project, if you can send me a pm with you email address I'll scan the pages to you.

The log book is to F/Lt John Cyril Gore Willmott MBE, MID, Croix de Guerre. He had been
    in the RAF from c.1925 until 1935, and was called up from the Reserve in 1939. He was
    with 6 Air Stores Park in France, and then seems to have been at RAF Leeming. His
    log then has him at RAF Greenock in 1941, and in October 1942 he flew an operation
    in a Catalina (30/10/42) with F/O Sassoon.

His Form 373 states he was at officer school in early 1943, and he moved to 120
    Squadron on the 8/6/43 (where he was/became adjutant), and then joined
    59 Squadron on the 11/7/45.

He was awarded the MBE for organizing the move of 120 from Iceland to Ireland without
    the loss of Operational hours (LG Jan 1945). His Form 373 states his MID was in the LG
    in January 1941.

The Croix de Guerre was awarded in 1944 for actions in May 1940 in France when he lead
    a group to attack German paratroopers that had landed. With the log was a report he
    filed in October 1944 stating the action was near Chennegy, where (on the 25/5/40)
    paratroopers had been seen landing in a wood about five miles away. He was detailed as
    NCO in charge of a party of five other ranks (cooks, bottle washers, etc) to proceed to
    the area armed with rifles.

They saw several parachutes and opened fire, with the Germans returning fire. One of
    their group was shot (AC2 STOUT although I cannot find him on the CWGC), and at least
    one German was killed. His body was found and buried, and "he was dressed in peasant
    cloths and carried explosives".

I hope this helps/is of interest.

Does anybody have any record of a F/O Sassoon operating in the Med in late 1942?
    I ws also wondering if there would be any other records relating to the 1940 action
    with the paratroopers.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hi

My email is elliott1940 at yahoo.com

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie214 View Post
    Thanks for both of those replies. Whitley project, if you can send me a pm with you email address I'll scan the pages to you.

The log book is to F/Lt John Cyril Gore Willmott MBE, MID, Croix de Guerre. He had been
    in the RAF from c.1925 until 1935, and was called up from the Reserve in 1939. He was
    with 6 Air Stores Park in France, and then seems to have been at RAF Leeming. His
    log then has him at RAF Greenock in 1941, and in October 1942 he flew an operation
    in a Catalina (30/10/42) with F/O Sassoon.

His Form 373 states he was at officer school in early 1943, and he moved to 120
    Squadron on the 8/6/43 (where he was/became adjutant), and then joined
    59 Squadron on the 11/7/45.

He was awarded the MBE for organizing the move of 120 from Iceland to Ireland without
    the loss of Operational hours (LG Jan 1945). His Form 373 states his MID was in the LG
    in January 1941.

The Croix de Guerre was awarded in 1944 for actions in May 1940 in France when he lead
    a group to attack German paratroopers that had landed. With the log was a report he
    filed in October 1944 stating the action was near Chennegy, where (on the 25/5/40)
    paratroopers had been seen landing in a wood about five miles away. He was detailed as
    NCO in charge of a party of five other ranks (cooks, bottle washers, etc) to proceed to
    the area armed with rifles.

They saw several parachutes and opened fire, with the Germans returning fire. One of
    their group was shot (AC2 STOUT although I cannot find him on the CWGC), and at least
    one German was killed. His body was found and buried, and "he was dressed in peasant
    cloths and carried explosives".

I hope this helps/is of interest.

Does anybody have any record of a F/O Sassoon operating in the Med in late 1942?
    I ws also wondering if there would be any other records relating to the 1940 action
    with the paratroopers.

Johnnie
    Elliott Smock
    ++ 44 (0)7890 892147