Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major H. C. Baker, AFC

Thanks

Default Re: Major H. C. Baker, AFC

Thank you. Neither of these Bakers showed up in Air 76, so clearly problems with records. May have to accept contemporary press accounts as accurate. Baker was clearly well known at the time and appeared before the Air Board investigation into the death of his passenger. That Board consisted of former RFC/RAF officers. The chair of the Inquiry, Mclaurin, was also superintendent of air operations for the west coast of Canada, for the Air Board.
    Baker was found negligent and he did not have a commercial license, so his employer was also found negligent.
    Once the Cdn Archives reopen, I will try to find the Air Board records, which are not online.

Thanks

Thanks. Certainly lots on Beasley, but little comes up for any Baker that makes sense.

Thanks

Unfortunately Beazley's death certificate is not online.

The Vancouver Sun of 25 May 1920 says this about Major Baker:

Major Baker, who was piloting the machine, is 22 years old and enlisted in 1914, going to England, where for some time he was in command of an aviation training camp there, before being awarded the Air Flying Cross (sic). He returned to Vancouver about two weeks ago.

Thanks

I'm not sure if the 'aviation training camp' has any relevance to the RAF training branch but it said that Alfred Edmonds Baker was a Pilot Officer in the Training Branch during the Second World War but he was born in 1899 but 1898. (making him 21 years of age in 1920) His records were unclear in the Air 76 so he could've been a Major.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...t/189/data.pdf

A.E.Baker granted position of 2nd Lieutenant in January 1919

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...10093/data.pdf

I'm no expert on historical rank progression but Brian Baker rose ranks in around 4 months. There is a gap of 3 ranks between 2nd Lt. and Major and if we follow Brian Baker's trend, A.E.Baker could've been a Major by 1920 but unlikely, it seems.

Update* I just read the newspaper reports myself. Print says '23 years old' so Alfred Edmonds Baker's descriptions fits perfectly albeit the fact that there is no record of him being awarded the Air Force Cross...
    Last edited by yeoldbarn; 30th July 2020 at 19:09. Reason: Update

Thanks

Alfred Edmonds Baker's RFC/RAF service file is online (free) at TNA.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8188594

Thanks

Alfred Edmonds Baker's

He was from Scotland so I don’t think he is out mystery man- As it says above “going to England and Returned To Vancouver

Thanks

Can we check out

BAKER, ALBERT CLIFFORD, Aeronautical Engineer; born, Maidstone, England, June 6, 1897; son of James Baker and Elizabeth Baker: married, Elsie Covel, May 1 ... 1914: Distinguished Flving Crobs, 1917; Air Force Cross, 1917. Address: 91 Burrard St., Vancouver. B. C.*.

Thanks

birth:
    6 June 1897
    death:
    2 June 1947
    Seattle, King, Washington
    burial:
    5 June 1947

Occupation Transportstion Enginner

Thanks

Having been awarded the AFC should be the definitive fact, but nothing comes from searches I have done.
    Earl Godfrey was awarded the AFC for his work as commander of the SAF at Beamsville Ontario in 1918. He was in Vancouver in 1920. It looks like he is always mentioned with his other decorations, as well as the AFC.
    One report says Baker was OC a training camp. Could be reason for AFC.

So, possibilities:
    1. Press reports not accurate about full name, and there is somewhere information about a Baker who fits better to what is known.
    2. Records of AFC awards not complete. Air 76 not complete.
    3. Baker faked record - AFC, rank, hours etc. But would the large number of RAF vets he had to deal with not have led to his exposure as a fake? Other pilots, Canadian Vets associations etc.

Thanks

I need to confirm ALBERT CLIFFORD Baker was in Vancouver in 1920 it might just be the way google ponied up
    My search