Thread: LACM Arthur Henderson King's Commendation

Thanks

Default LACM Arthur Henderson King's Commendation

Dear All,

I've been trying to research a chap who was awarded a King's Commendation for Brave Conduct and I've hit a bit of a wall.

The man in question is Arthur Henderson (1493319) who seems to have enlisted in about 1941.

I assume he was ground crew as he was down as a LAC in 1944 when his award appears in the LG on the 1/1/1944 under:

The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the publication of the names of the undermentioned personnel in the London Gazette as having been commended FOR BRAVE CONDUCT

1493319 A. HENDERSON, R.A.F.V.R.

I assume this is a King's Commendation for Brave Conduct, but I was keen to confirm this.

I was also wondering if there was any way to find out what it was for? Do citations survive for this kind of thing?

My thought, based on the type of award as well as the rank, is that it may have been for rescue from a crashed aircraft of something to do with bomb disposal or the like, but I really am guessing.

Any help or suggestions at all would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnie

Thanks

Default Re: LACM Arthur Henderson King's Commendation

Johnnie

Maybe just a co-incidence, but the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of June 29th 1944 (yes, six months later), reported the following:

Fought blaze in ammunition ship
    Leading Aircraftman A. Henderson, R.A.F., whose home is at 229, Monday Street, Newcastle, has been mentioned in despatches "for brave conduct" in the Italian campaign.
    He went down the tank hatch of a fully loaded ammunition ship which had caught fire, and for three hours helped to fight the fire and save the cargo. Air Marshal Sir Arthur Barratt, R.A.F. Technical Command, has sent him congratulations on his courage.
    L.A.C. Henderson has two brothers serving.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Johnnie,

I believe the King's Commendation for Brave Conduct was a separate award for civilians and seamen of the Merchant Navy; it was a civilian equivalent for MiD. (mentioned in despatches)
    Nonetheless, a MiD was awarded to a personnel in the armed forces for three categories: 'Mentioned in Despatches', 'a King's Commendation for brave conduct', 'a King's Commendation for valuable service in the air, if granted for service in the Second World War.'

I would say that Henderson was awarded a 'Mentioned in Despatches' for brave conduct to avoid confusion. The aforementioned King's Commendation for Brave Conduct was awarded for acts of gallantry not in the presence of the enemy.

If you want to reconfirm, the Gazette published an outline on the awards in 1954. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../3539/data.pdf

Thanks

Many thanks for the help with this.

The newspaper account does seem to fit as the award document came with a set of miniatures that included the Italy and Africa Stars.

I've also checked "Honour the Air Force", and this only seems to cover one A Henderson and he is down as KCBC.

As an aside, they do not provide figures for the standard MID, but they do provide figures for the KCBC and KCVSA and they list the following awards:

KCBC - 191
    KCVSA - 651

It has been suggested that the incident that resulted in the award was the bombing raid on Bari, but I'm still not sure about this.

Johnnie

Thanks

Henderson's KCBC was awarded in the New Years Honours 1 Jan 44, page 46 of the London Gazette.

I have taken this from Maton and it merely says: 'Honours List'

Colin Cummings