Thread: "Safe" Maximum Landing weight for Lancaster

Thanks

Default "Safe" Maximum Landing weight for Lancaster

The ORBs for Middleton St. George for September 19th for an abortive raid on Domberg states "All aircraft received recall instructions to abandon this operation shortly after takeoff owing poor weather conditions and returned to base having jettisoned part of their load at sea to bring them to within the safe landing weight."

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...21/220?r=0&s=2

1) What was the safe landing weight? Dad brought back his entire bombload when the raid to Goch was aborted over the target, Feb 7, 1945.

2) Did the "All up weight" increase for aircraft with the faster Merlin 224 engines (Mk X aircraft KB.776 and higher numbers)?

Dad brought back his entire bombload when the raid to Goch was aborted over the target, Feb 7, 1945. On the Aborted raid to Neuss, February 28, 1945 he jettisoned his cookie but returned to base with his SBC's.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 1st August 2020 at 16:46.

Thanks

Default Re: "Safe" Maximum Landing weight for Lancaster

Jim,
    this page from the 'Pilots Notes' for the Lancaster I, III, X, 'Maximum Weights'. It indicates T/O 65,000 lbs and Landing 55,000 lbs. This is of course 'normal' conditions, in varying wartime conditions I would assume anything goes as long as you get on the ground. I imagine, but may be wrong, that jettisoning the bombs was not a matter weight reduction but a matter of safety, not a good idea to land with bombload of active bombs that can explode/jolt loose with a heavy landing and cause untold damage to said airfield.

Andrew

Thanks

Thanks Cy. Further review of my various books indicates the All Up weight didn’t change from 65,000 lb, except Feb 1945, with an “overload” version (72,000 lbs) that presumably carried the grand slam.

Edit: I did a rough, back of the envelope calculation based on air miles traveled to and from Goch and consumption of 1 air mile per gallon, and I estimate that dad landed with a weight of 57,000 lbs, so very close to your information of 55,000 lbs. He probably landed with about 360 gallons of fuel. This may be an overestimate, as it doesn’t take into account orbits.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 2nd August 2020 at 04:49.

Thanks

Jim, if you want the complete 'Pilots Note' booklet for your colection I have it scanned and saved, just PM me and I'll give you the link.
    Andrew

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyflyer1 For This Useful Post:

JDCAVE (2nd August 2020)

Thanks

Thanks Cy. I’ve tried to reply several times but they seem to go into the void. Trying again.

I believe I have the Pilot’s notes in my “documents and related” folder. I’ll check.

Edit: successful post this time.

Jim