Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air 78 - a limit on what is normally free downloads ?

Thanks

Default Air 78 - a limit on what is normally free downloads ?

I have been steadily working my way through Air 78 downloading files (which have been free to download for a long time pre the current situation) to properly ID the aircrew who flew with 630 Squadron for the website but suddenly I have hit a brick wall. I got a notice saying that I'd have downloaded 50 in 30 days and that is my lot for now.

Has anybody else found this on normally free files ? I fully understand limits on stuff they usually use to generate revenue but I was surprised to be stopped doing my usual 10 or 12 every saturday and sunday.

cheers PeteS
    https://630squadron.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Default Re: Air 78 - a limit on what is normally free downloads ?

It's part of their 'Fair Use' policy:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...tal-downloads/

I guess it's to stop it being overrun with download requests. Have you tried doing it without logging in to your account (if you indeed have one), as they're free anyway?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

The new rule was brought in to limit the stress on their servers so all downloadable stuff will be limited whether it was previously free or paid for. This makes sense as the rush to grab what was previously paid for only, must have strained the system and no doubt causing an apparent slowness.

I have actually downloaded less since it became free so will be unlikely to hit the barrier. I would suggest a rationing so you can get regular fixes without triggering the limit.

Thanks

You could get another account :-()

Thanks

Hello,

Simon's suggestion works like a charm. Did yesterday anyway.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Gents
    I shall try Simon's suggestion and not use my account
    thanks PeteS

Thanks

Hello Pete

I experienced the same as you, at the beginning of the free downloads due to Covid 19. I had used my quota of 50 and was just looking for a file which was already free before the lockdown, and got the same limitation as you had. Answers and advice have been given above.

Joss

Thanks

I would suggest that using another account is not really entering into the spirit of things. If you are doing it you can be sure thousands of others are doing it and that will no doubt result in further restrictions if the system gets overloaded. It is already very slow!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I have been steadily working my way through Air 78 downloading files (which have been free to download for a long time pre the current situation) to properly ID the aircrew who flew with 630 Squadron for the website but suddenly I have hit a brick wall. I got a notice saying that I'd have downloaded 50 in 30 days and that is my lot for now.

Has anybody else found this on normally free files ? I fully understand limits on stuff they usually use to generate revenue but I was surprised to be stopped doing my usual 10 or 12 every saturday and sunday.

cheers PeteS
    Pete,

I've been doing the same thing and only have the last 8 letters of the alphabet to go. If you have the details of any that came from or went to 78 Squadron that you are struggling withthen drop me a message and I'll see what I have. The ones Im struggling with are the Canadians.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

Thanks Daz and Joss,
    I managed to do another 18 over the weekend, I'm not doing massive numbers it's just frustrating when these were FREE before without limits on numbers (which even then I didn't exploit)

I only have the last 30 - 40 still to do, a few are sadly beyond hope with common name/initials and no service numbers due to early AIR 27 Appdx being incomplete.
    cheers
    PeteS