Thread: No. 82 OTU Ossington - Nickel sortie

Thanks

Default No. 82 OTU Ossington - Nickel sortie

The ORB mentions sending training crews out on, "an important Nickel operation - Group Operation Order B.50 refers. Each A/C had a separate target requiring a deep penetration to general area S and SW of Paris....completed task satisfactorily and all obtained photos.... 10 Packages of special Nickel XF2 were dropped on each Target"
    Can anyone please tell me first, what XF2 was? I thought a Nickel sortie was a leaflet drop. They must have been important as there's a subsequent mention of a Foreign Office message of, "thanks and admiration for the extraordinary prompt and neat job in their distribution of XF2".
    And secondly, did the crew get ops credit for these missions?

Many thanks
    Mary-Anne Pechet

Thanks

Default Re: No. 82 OTU Ossington - Nickel sortie

Hello Mary-Anne,

Here you have the explanation of XF.2. Correct, it is leaflets dropped in France.

Leaflets by P.W.E/ O.W.I.

French Army in France (L'ARMEE FRANÇAISES COMBAT EN FRANCE) XF.2 14/15 Aug. & 8/9 Sept. 1944.

Source: A complete index of ALLIED AIRBORNE LEAFLETS AND MAGAZINES 1945.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

From the War Office publication on Campaign Stars and medals dated 11 Jun 48:
    Definitions of Airborne Qualifying Service - "Para 6 (iii) (b) Personnel at an operational training unit (R.A.F.) who were required to make an operational sortie, may count their service at that unit from the date of the sortie onwards as qualifying service."

1939-45 Star - Airborne Service
    Para 16 (ii) (a) "Personnel at an air operational [I]training unit[I] (para 6 (ii) (b)) will count service from the date of the sortie onwards."
    Comment: That should read para 6 (iii) (b).
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Can't quite understand why my uncle's training leaflet-dropping sortie on 16 Aug 1944 that required a deep penetration to general area S and SW of Paris which which they accomplished and obtained photo doesn't seem to have been counted as an "op". Could it be that they weren't a complete 7-man crew before finishing the HCU?