Thread: NCO Pilot Promotion Timings

Thanks

Default NCO Pilot Promotion Timings

Can anyone tell me, please, what the usual timings (i.e. under normal circumstances) were for promotion from Sergeant Pilot to Flight Sergeant, and from Flight Sergeant to Warrant Officer?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve,

as I know from records of Czechoslovak airmen with the RAF, it was common after about one year of active duty - during the war.

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 30th August 2008 at 11:42. Reason: typo
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    My RAAF uncle's statement of service shows Sergeant pilot to Flight Sergeant 6 months and Flight Sergeant to Warrant Officer 12 months.
    Cheers
    Lorraine

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    My RAAF uncle's statement of service shows Sergeant pilot to Flight Sergeant 6 months and Flight Sergeant to Warrant Officer 12 months.
    Cheers
    Lorraine

Thanks

Default Pilot promotion timings.

Pilot promotion circa 1943
    Promotion from Sgt Pilot to F/sgt one year. promotion from F/sgt to W/O one year.
    Clifnemo.

Thanks

Please note that the automatic timing of promotion from Sgt to F/Sgt varied with the particular service of the individual (viz, RAFVR, RNZAF, RCAF, etc) as well as the period of the war in question. Early in the war I was always amazed at how long a Sergeant pilot remained a Sergeant, even when he was a captain of aircraft. Later in the war such promotion seemed to be speeded up quite a bit. It is also noteworthy that in the RAFVR it was not uncommon for a Sergeant to be commissioned from that rank after a period of service, but in the RNZAF this never happened. That is to say in the RNZAF a Sergeant aircrew member progressed (after about 1942 onwards) from Sergeant to F/Sgt after 6 months, then to W/O after another 18 months. However he could be commissioned from Flight Sergeant, but never to my knowledge directly from Sergeant. I am speaking here of members of the RNZAF on attachment to the RAF, and NOT those attached to the RCAF for advanced training. The promotion of members of the RNZAF in New Zealand and the Pacific was under the control of Air Department in Wellington and followed somewhat different rules to those members administered by the RAF, and I imagine similar differences existed for members of RCAF and RAAF who were under general control of the RAF, but would appreciate any comment on this particular belief.
    David D

Thanks

Hi Pavel, Lorraine, Cliffnemo and David

Thanks for your responses, whch are most appreciated.

Kind regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm