Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P.B.C. Mystery...

Thanks

Default P.B.C. Mystery...

I recently acquired a wartime RAF officer's peaked cap and the previous owner left his initials P.B.C. on the shop label stitched inside the cap. The cap was originally purchased from a store called Brill Mens Wear of Leeds. I've spent hours going through the Air Ministry issued Air Force Lists periodically from 1939-1945. There is an index of all officers at the end of each list and I've narrowed down to around to six individuals. There were five others with the initials P.B.C. but they have been eliminated and reasons are listed below. All individuals below joined the RAF before the end of the war. I'm posting all the research I've been able to do from my end.

I would like to know if any of the below six individuals are from Leeds or the area nearby Leeds? I'm suspecting P.B.C. got his RAF uniform tailored to the nearest place from home? OR if you find any of the below 7 P.B.C.'s logbook (for me to see the handwriting) that would be immensely helpful.

1. P. B. Crisp, D.F.C. (187751) [158 Squadron; Air Bomber] {Philip Burwood Crisp}
    2. P. B. Collins, (162282) {Peter Barnet Collins}
    3. P. B. Cash, (187686) {Paul Broughton Cash}
    - Note* There is another P.B.Cash with Service No. 3120811 but I believe he is a different individual, who joined for National Service and re-joined the RAF again later.
    4. P. B. Carter, (3983) {Name not found yet but 1946 New Year Honours Mentioned in Dispatches as a Section Officer}
    5. P. B. Caunt, (140117) {Percy Buchanan Caunt}
    6. P. B. Coates, (150302) {Peter Buckle Coates}
    7. P. B. Coote, (26155) {Patrick Bernard Coote} (Not really sure. It could be him?)

Eliminated indiv.

1. P. B. Coote - Died overseas and Coote came from Eton but it said that he went to Cranwell and moved around a bit. RAF Cranwell isn't too far from Leeds? It could be Coote, I'm not quite sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Coote's wartime service is worth a read - interesting chap. Click here to read.
    2. P. B. Cornwallis - Died during active service on 1945 after hit by flak; came from Chelsea, London.
    3. P. B. Clay - Logbook handwriting style confirmed that Clay did not own the cap. (PDF provided by his son, David Clay. You can find it on Facebook)
    4. P. B. Carver - Was a Warrant officer a not commissioned officer.
    5. P. B. Cavendish - Was a Warrant officer a not commissioned officer.
    6. P. B. Chamberlain - Based with 75 NZ Squadron as Pilot, died during service. Logbook handwriting style confirmed that Chamberlain did not own the cap. (Chamberlain's logbooks accessed via the 75 NZ Squadron page)

I would be so grateful if someone could just help me out here. It would mean a lot to me if I was able to find out who P.B.C. was.
    Any small contribution would be amazing!

With best wishes,

yeoldbarn
    Last edited by yeoldbarn; 11th August 2020 at 16:04. Reason: Additional Details

Thanks

Default Re: P.B.C. Mystery...

Philip Burwood Crisp born Sunderland married Buckrose East Ridings of Yorkshire in 1946

Chris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cozzy711 For This Useful Post:

yeoldbarn (11th August 2020)

Thanks

Peter Barnet Collins born married and died in Dorset

Chris

Thanks

Paul Broughton Cash born Lincolnshire died in Kent

Chris

Thanks

Percy Buchanan Caunt born Nottinghamshire lived in 1939 in Ipswich and died there in 2000

Chris

Thanks

Percy Buchanan Caunt born Nottingham.

Don't see a birth for Coates but a Peter B Coates, aged 22, died in Westminster in the March 1946 Qtr.

Thanks

Peter Buckle Coates was from Herefordshire but died in London in 1946

Chris

Thanks

Oh wow, thank you so much. This is very helpful. Just need to find out about P.B.Carver then. Sorry, I couldn't find his full name unlike the others. He isn't mentioned much in the Gazette.

Thanks

Patric Bernard Coote born Eton but died in Macedonia 1941

CHris

Thanks

Just to double check, could you find out where Peter Bonham CLAY (204606) or Philip Barber CLAY (105193) was from? I just realised there were two Clays.