Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster I PD259 JO-P 463 Squadron

Thanks

Default Lancaster I PD259 JO-P 463 Squadron

The following is from a BBC report but there seems to be a discrepancy in the loss of this aircraft.

A propeller blade from a crashed World War II Lancaster bomber will be unveiled in a Highland cemetery on Sunday as a memorial to lost airmen.

Six Royal Australian Air Force personnel and a RAF crewman died when the aircraft came down on Balavil Estate, near Kingussie.

A team from RAF Waddington, Lincoln, from where the bomber flew missions, recovered the blade.

It has been erected in the graveyard at Balavil House.

The estate owners - Allan and Marjorie Macpherson-Fletcher - have been protecting the crash site of PD259 from souvenir hunters.

It will be unveiled on the 64th anniversary of the crash. FACT FILE
    RAF Waddington is the "hub" of UK Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR)
    Built in 1709, Balavil House has provided locations for BBC drama Monarch of the Glen
    This year is the 90th anniversary of the RAF

The crew from 467/463 Sqd were on a night training flight over the Cairngorms and Monadhliath mountain ranges when the bomber came down.

The cause may have been damage as a result of anti-aircraft fire, or freezing conditions, encountered during a mission the previous night.

Once removed, the propeller was transferred to RAF Waddington for restoration.

It will act as a memorial to the 1,306 personnel of 467/463 Sqd lost during World War II.

The six Australian crew members of PD259 were interred in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery in Cambridge, while the sole RAF airman was buried in Glasgow.

Chorley in page 460 of Vol.5 - Bomber Command Losses, gives the loss of PD259 as 23 October 1944 on an operation to Walcheren to bomb the batteries near the port of Vlissiingen, the aircraft being hit by light flak and abandoned over the target. Chorley also states that there is a confusing entry in the 463 Squadron ORB.

Is anyone able to verify which account is correct?

All help is appreciated.

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 30th August 2008 at 22:19.

Thanks

Default Australian NA

Casualty Files on the Australian NA: (Not scanned)

DENT, Terence Roy - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 425617; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster PD259; Place - Inverness, Scotland; Date - 31 August 1944

GLOVER, Bevil Milton - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 436579; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Lancaster PD259; Place - Kingussie, Inverness, Scotland; Date - 31 August 1944

ABBOTT Stanley Arthur - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 436790; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster PD 259; Place - Kingussie, Scotland; Date - 31 August 1944

And this one is scanned:
    BEDDOE, Robert Henry - (Pilot Officer); Service Number - 418717; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster I PD 259; Place - Kingussie, Scotland; Date - 31 August 1944

Check it out for details, maybe a later file might explain.

Then for the crew of the shot down aircraft:
    COWARD, Robert - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 432371; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster PD 260; Place - Flushing, Holland; Date - 23 October 1944

DACK, Irwin John - (Flying Officer); Service Number - 418093; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster PD260; Place - Flushing, Holland; Date - 23 October 1944

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis

Many thanks for your reply, seems to be a bit of a cock-up regarding serials in some publications.

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Crew PD260 buried Hanover War Cem.; COWARD (missing) and DACK (PoW) were on PB260.

Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Thanks for confirmation

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

The anomalies between the information was investigated here (the link to which I posted on Chat)

(link removed due to malicious programmes on site)

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 31st August 2008 at 12:54.

Thanks

WARNING! I just followed the link in the above post by Amrit and my PC was subjected to an attack by virus, malware, trojans. I managed to block most of them but still got caught by Win32,Agent.pz trojan which I have hopefully now removed.

I have no doubt that Amrit posted the link in good faith but it would appear that the website it goes to has a problem.

Take care out there!
    Linzee

Thanks

Default Virus and other bits

Sadly I can confirm that the "True Tales" section of Peter Johnson's excellent site seems to be infected, so access that part with caution. The rest of the site appears to be ok.

I also posted this on WW2 Chat:

This is an extract from the Australian Roll of Honour website:

463 SQUADRON RAAF WORLD WAR 2 FATALITIES
    Date of Death: 31 August 1944.
    Source:
    AWM 64 1/342 (3), 1/343 AWM 237 (63) (64)
    NAA : A705, 166/5/687
    Aircraft Type:
    Lancaster
    Serial number:
    PD 259
    Radio call sign:
    JO -
    Unit:
    463 Sqn RAAF
    Summary:
    Lancaster PD259 took off from RAF Waddington on 31st August 1944 to carry out a night non-operational cross-country flight. The aircraft crashed at 2315 hours in the Monadhliath mountains about 10 miles north of Kingussie, Inverness Shire, Scotland, and all the crew were killed.
    Crew:
    RAAF 418717 FO Beddoe, R H Captain (Pilot)
    RAAF 428834 Flt Sgt F M Walker (Navigator)
    RAAF 418473 Flt Sgt D H Ryan, (Bomb Aimer)
    RAAF 425617 Flt Sgt T R Dent, (Wireless Operator Air Gunner)
    RAF WO G H Middleton, (Flight Engineer)
    RAAF 436790 Flt Sgt S A Abbott (Mid Upper Gunner)
    RAAF 436579 Flt Sgt B M Glover (Rear Gunner)
    On RAAF casualty file A705, 166/5/687 held by Archives the following details are recorded in the Court of Inquiry into the accident :
    A Meteorology report of conditions in the area at the time of the accident stated “Fairly frequent showers in the north of Scotland at the time of the accident. Cumulus and Cumulonimbus clouds extensive to 20,000 feet locally with some reaching to 25,000 feet. Cloud base was locally below 1000 feet in showers and would be covering hilltops. Visibility under cloud in the` area was from 15/30 miles. Temps –30degC to –44degC at 20,000 feet and 25,000 feet respectively. These are far too low for icing to be expected if aircraft was flying at briefed height of 25,000 feet.
    It was also recorded that the crew had a sound training record and that since at this unit the pilot had done 10 hours as second pilot at night and a four hours daylight exercise with his crew. The briefed height was 25,000 feet and the pilot understood the met. situation. Despatch of training flight was considered justified as a bright moon and icing risk negligible at briefed height.”

I was in the room in RAF Waddington only 2 or 3 weeks ago where the prop and other remains are. One part, an injector if I remember correctly, is in such good condition that my RAF companion said he thought the BBMF could be interested in it as a spare for their Lanc!

Best wishes
    Max

The A705 Casualty Report is available online, pages 38 and 39 make particularly interesting reading. It suggests pilot error and inexperience as the primary cause.
    Last edited by Galgos; 31st August 2008 at 12:23.

Thanks

Hi all

I'm really sorry about the above link - my computer gave no indication of any problem but that maybe due to the fact that I have several security programmes running, which block virtually all malicious downloads silently.

For the safety of all members, I have removed the link.

My sincerest apologies again

A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linzee View Post
    WARNING! I just followed the link in the above post by Amrit and my PC was subjected to an attack by virus, malware, trojans. I managed to block most of them but still got caught by Win32,Agent.pz trojan which I have hopefully now removed.

I have no doubt that Amrit posted the link in good faith but it would appear that the website it goes to has a problem.

Take care out there!
    Linzee
    Linzee,

had the same problem some time ago, thought it was me doing something wrong, had to do a full anti virus scan, took some time to get back to normal.

Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by peter; 31st August 2008 at 16:32.