Thread: Death Certificate Help

Thanks

Default Death Certificate Help

Possibly one for Andy Ingham, but any help from anyone would be much appreciated.

If a man died in service in the Far East in 1934, would his death certificate have been raised over there, or back here in Blighty? The two men i'm particularly interested in are P/O M.J.O Parish, and LAC I.J.J. Ginello, both killed when Vildebeest Mk.I K2920 crashed in June 1934. The ORB states that the crash happened on the 6th of June 1934, whilst Air Britain's "K File" book gives a date of the 4th of June against the serial. I have neither the Form 78 or the Form 1180 for this aircraft, so i can't double check against those at the moment, and i'm hoping a death certificate for one of the men might give me a date of death.

As an aside, how would i find out where men killed during this period are buried, if their bodies were recovered from the sea?

Thanks in advance as alwaysm for any help anyone can offer.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg,

P/O Parish and LAC Ginello are buried in KRANJI Military Cemetery Singapore. ( Plot 14 Row B Grave 18 and Plot 14 Row C Grave 1 respectively).

I have the burial lists for several of the cemeteries overseas used pre war. I have not yet had time to reconcile all details against known crashes etc, but I'm working on it.

HTH

Dave Molyneux

Thanks

Greg, Hi,
    Martin J O Parish death (age 22) is recorded in the British Army Death Indeces (1887-1955) as being in the Singapore area in year 1934 (GRO ref page 224). The actual occurrence would probably have been initially recorded there, and the details sent back to UK. He's in the Army Index probably because the RAF did not have an Index of its own until later on. Whether, or not, the information sent back to UK included burial location I do not know. And whether, if so, that information will be on the GRO Death Cert, I also do not know. £7 will tell you - but it's better to pay for positive information than negative information.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Dave's just come up with the answer - Kranji
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 8th December 2007 at 13:24. Reason: New info posted

Thanks

Dave, that's brilliant. I didn't have their burial locations either, so you've added some grand gen for me there too. Does the burial register give their dates of death also?

Would it be of any help to you if i emailed over the section of my Roll of Honour dealing with 100 Squadron's Far East period? You may be able to tally some of your names with particular incidents then. Let me know :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Peter - many thanks for your gen also, which i've just noticed as i posted a reply to Dave. I'm having a bloody grand 24 hours here with gen on my 100 Squadron boys - it rather makes up fr a few months where not very much at all has come to light!!

Thanks again :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Times News in Brief has areport of it June 7th 1934 - But no date

Says

Our Singapore Correspondent reports that during exercises near the air base a Vilderbeest
    aeroplane of 100 (Bomber) Squadron RAF crashed an P/O M J O Parish and
    LAC I J J Ginello were drowned

Thanks

Greg,

Dates recorded as 6/6/1934. From other accidents this seems to be the date of death . However there is one cemetery where the date is quoted as a range of dates so I don't know what the strict definition is.
    If you care to e-mail the 100 squadron roll of honour I will see if I can fill any dates -the Kranji list runs to about 125 names although I have not yet got it sorted into date order. My e mail address is ddotmolyneuxfourzeroeightatbtinternetdotcom - make the obvious substitutions including figures.

Glad to be of help

Dave Molyneux

Thanks

Greg,

I have found one entry relevant to 100 squadron - AC Stephen Paul JENNER who was killed on 19th March 1936. Presumably the other two members of the crew of Vildebeeste K2927, reported as missing in Flight for 26th March 1936, were never found as their names are not on the Kranji burials list and I am not aware of another cemetery in Singapore. For the record they were F/Lt WWilliam Dalrymple GARDNER and LAC Thomas William WATSON.

HTH

Dave Molyneux

Thanks

Greg,

The Air Force List for Jul 1934 records Martin John Okes Parish's death ('killed') as being on 6 June 1934.

Errol

Thanks

Paul, Dave, and Errol - many, many thanks for your contributions to this thread, i am very grateful.

Dave, i'll email you over the "Singapore period" section of my Roll of Honour later today. You may be able to fill a few holes in my data, and it may plug one or two holes in your also.

Thanks again chaps,

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison