Thread: Whitley scrappings

Thanks

Default Whitley scrappings

Dear all

I'm attempting to research the scrapping of Whitley aircraft - most of this research has been aimed at aircraft operated by 10 and 19 OTUs. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any details on the final destinations of these aircraft. MU records are equally unhelpful.

Can anyone suggest a source of information on where these aircraft finally met their end?

I know Halifax's were scrapped in Brackla, just down the road from Kinloss and 19 OTU but have found no hard evidence that suggests Whgitleys were scrapped there as well.
    Elliott Smock
    ++ 44 (0)7890 892147

Thanks

Hello,

I have a couple of photos of Warwicks and Ansons being scrapped by the MU at Kinloss circa 47/48. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Whitleys were also scrapped there as well. Co-incidently, when I was stationed at Kinloss in the late 80s, I had a Flt Sgt who told me that an elderly, local friend of his remembered Whitley's being towed by road to a local quarry (in the Elgin area) for dumping. Another oft told tale of buried treasure? Who knows?

Rgds

Jonny