Thread: 45 Sqn Vengeance EZ879 crash 27 Jan 1944 - Court of Inquiry

Thanks

Default 45 Sqn Vengeance EZ879 crash 27 Jan 1944 - Court of Inquiry

Good morning to you all!

I'm putting together another biography and have come across mention in the ORB (31 Jan 1944) of a Court of Inquiry to be held regarding the crash of Vengeance EZ879 (on 27 January 1944), due to the pilot attempting to bale out but being unsuccessful.

I already have a reasonable amount of detail regarding the individual, but am wondering if anyone might have any idea of the results of the Board of Inquiry? Having trawled through the following months of the Sqn ORB Appendix, there's no note of it there (although the Appendices seem incomplete).

A long shot I know, but I'm ever hopeful

Thanks so much guys

Shawn

Thanks

Default Re: 45 Sqn Vengeance EZ879 crash 27 Jan 1944 - Court of Inquiry

For specific transcript of a C of I you are unlikely to get any access due to status of file unless it is in other documents transferred to public domain records.

A request can be made to the RAFAHB at Northolt for a serving security cleared officer/official to examine and give a summary but they may or may not give the specific info you are looking for.

The best current method for getting the summary in a record released to the public domain is to contact DoRIS at RAF Museum Hendon and request a copy of the Form 1180.

In this case it reports that the pilot failed to format, became lost above cloud, nav worked wrong freq and station possibly due to lack of oxy. Pilot pulled chute too early.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Re: 45 Sqn Vengeance EZ879 crash 27 Jan 1944 - Court of Inquiry

Hi Ross - Thanks for your advice and for the detail - that's a great help. Thanks again.

Shawn