Thread: Another Paratrooper Incident

Thanks

Default Another Paratrooper Incident

Although not directly linked to the thread currently running about the tragic drowing of airborne soldiers in the River Tay, I wonder if anyone has come across the story of the para who became tangled up under the a/c after dropping from a Whitley over Scotland? The story appears in the The Sunday Post of the 18th of April 1943. Apparently, despite strenuous efforts by the crew, the soldier could not be recovered and the a/c was forced to land with the poor chap still dangling underneath it. However, his parachute pack served as a 'tobogan' and he survived to tell the tale. Despite being reported in several newspapers in April '43, I believe that the incident occured in 1942 during an exercise, when the airman who related the story was serving with 297 Sqn (according to his service record).

Can anyone add anything to this one please?

Rgds and thanks in advance

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default Re: Another Paratrooper Incident

Hi Jonny,

I had a look at the 297 Sqn ORB for the period December 1941 (at its formation) until April 1943 and there's no mention of the incident. The reports on activities are all pretty brief, usually how many a/c took part, what they dropped and where. Paratroop casualties are seldom mentioned. Would be worth putting an enquiry onto one of the para history websites.

Keith

Thanks

Default Re: Another Paratrooper Incident

Thanks for looking, Keith. I'll certainly think about asking the question further afield.

All the best

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.