Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Americans flying with RAF units

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Americans flying with RAF units

    Is anyone able to tell me if there is a way of checking USAAF personnel who flew with RAF Bomber Command. I have come across a Lt C Hayden, Bomb Aimer, Flying with 78 Squadron in 1943. Sadly I don't have a service number or any other details.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 20th August 2020 at 21:04.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Perhaps a silly question, Daz, but was there an RCAF man with the same name on the squadron around the same time?

    Those Americans in the RCAF who transferred over to the USAAF first had to complete their tour with their UK squadron.

    I have several ORBs which have RCAF fellows leaving the station and then returning with American ranks and service numbers, hence my question.

    Regards,

    Dave

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Dave,

    Thanks for replying. No Canadians with the same name, I have identified two who were serving as members of the RCAF who subsequently transferred to the USAAF. I have also had one confirmed USAAF casualty whilst with the Squadron.

    Regards
    Daz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    777
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Hi Daz,

    While researching Course 58, 4 SFTS at Saskatoon June-October 1942, there were six Americans who joined the RCAF before the US entered the war, all survived the war, some joined the USAAF others stayed in the RCAF. I managed to track down the son of one of them who served with 622 Sqn until he became a pow just before D-Day.
    He sent me some photos of the crew and his father is wearing a USAAF uniform.

    Cheers,

    John.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,909
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 108 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Quote Originally Posted by 78SqnHistory View Post
    Dave,

    Thanks for replying. No Canadians with the same name, I have identified two who were serving as members of the RCAF who subsequently transferred to the USAAF. I have also had one confirmed USAAF casualty whilst with the Squadron.

    Regards
    Daz
    Daz,

    There are at least two (2) members of the USAAF listed in the various Chorley BCL volumes, mentioned as killed whilst being aboard a No.78 Squadron aircraft:

    20/21-12-1943 - O-886109 1/Lt (Capt/Pilot) Lauchlin M. KELLY USAAF + (Texas)
    HalifaxIII LW320:EY-Z (FRANKFURT) - BCL4/433 & BCL9/292

    7/8-6-1944 -O-886289 1/Lt Cameron O. EVANS AM* USAAF + (Michigan)
    Halifax III NZ577:EY-O (JUVISY) - BCL5/264 & BCL9/435.

    Any comments?

    Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st August 2020 at 01:28. Reason: Thanks Dave, stet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post

    20/21-12-1943 - O-886109 1/Lt (Capt/Pilot) Lauchlin M. KELLY USAAF + (Texas)
    HalifaxIII LW320:EY-Z (FRANKFURT) - BCL4/433 & BCL9/292
    Col,

    Kelly wasn't from Texas (the state), but Texas, Maryland.

    https://www.wartimes.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=486

    Dave

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    This is probably your guy with an RCAF service number. CE. Hayden J-22405 Air Bomber. After joining the USAAF his service number probably started with O-885???, O-886??? or possibly T-223???
    Richard

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Charles Elmo HAYDEN J22405

    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/...su2gmbp9meuk20

    b. 07/01/1920 d. 27/12/2010 California

    There is a fair bit on him on Ancestry

    Chris

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    712
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Hello ,

    Here an American flying with the RCAF :

    431 Sqdn RCAF - Ops Montzen - Handly-Page Halifax Mk III
    LK-842 - SE-N
    1Lt John M Earman
    Pilot 0-886185 Rockingham County VA USA
    Ardennes War Cemetry Belgium


    Regards

    Alain12

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Americans flying with RAF units

    Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Daz,

    There are at least two (2) members of the USAAF listed in the various Chorley BCL volumes, mentioned as killed whilst being aboard a No.78 Squadron aircraft:

    20/21-12-1943 - O-886109 1/Lt (Capt/Pilot) Lauchlin M. KELLY USAAF + (Texas)
    HalifaxIII LW320:EY-Z (FRANKFURT) - BCL4/433 & BCL9/292

    7/8-6-1944 -O-886289 1/Lt Cameron O. EVANS AM* USAAF + (Michigan)
    Halifax III NZ577:EY-O (JUVISY) - BCL5/264 & BCL9/435.

    Any comments?

    Col.
    Col,

    yes I have them both, I had forgotten about Kelly and was trying to respond from memory without looking at my records.

    thanks

    Daz

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •