Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAC Arthur Smith, RAF Millom, June 1941, Killed after falling under a train

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default LAC Arthur Smith, RAF Millom, June 1941, Killed after falling under a train

Good morning all!

1187308 - LAC Arthur Smith, 2BGS, RAF Millom

I'm compiling a brief bio of the above individual and am having some difficulty putting together details regarding his death.

It appears he was killed after falling beneath a train at Millom Station on 6 June 1941. I was hoping I might have been able to locate an inquest in a local paper but alas no such luck. Does anyone have anything they can add to what I already have?

Really hoping someone might be able to add something!

Thanks as always

Shawn

Thanks

Default 2BGTS, RAF Millom, June 1941 - Looking for ORB's or Similar -

Hello all

Has anyone by any chance got a copy of the ORB (or similar) for 2BGTS or for RAF Millom for JUNE 1941? I'm trying to pinpoint some detail regarding the suspected suicide of LAC Arthur Smith (on 6 June 1941). I'm hoping there might just be something withing the Unit records. The absence of any inquest, or even a newspaper report (other than a brief notification of his death 'suddenly') is frustrating all efforts so far!

Would be truly grateful for any assistance.

Thanks guys

Shawn

Thanks

Default Re: 2BGTS, RAF Millom, June 1941 - Looking for ORB's or Similar -

Hi Shawn. I'm not sure if this is of any help at all, as you probably already know it, but the most relevant NA Reference would seem to be AIR 29/544/2 "7 Armament Training Station, Acklington, later became 2 Air Observer School; followed by 2 Bombing and Gunnery School, 2 AOS and 2 (Observer) Advanced Flying Unit at Millom (AFU UK). With appendices". It apparently covers April 1938-Jan 1945, but hasn't been downloaded so, unfortunately, isn't downloadable. Sorry I can't be of more help. Andrew

Thanks

Thanks Andrew - having a real hard time getting to the bottom of this one! I appreciate your help

Shawn

Thanks

I wasn't much help, I'm afraid - have you been able to find him in AIR 78? Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

According to the FreeBMD website Arthur was 26 at the time of his death, so he must have been born in 1914 or 1915 - does this help you find out where he was born or if he married? It might also help you pick him out in AIR78 and thus get his service number... Just a few thoughts. Andrew

Thanks

Thanks Mark

I had a reply from the coroner who very kindly checked the records and has confirmed that no documents regarding the inquest are extant, so although we know the verdict, we do not know, and are now unlikely to know, the circumstances surrounding the event....

Thanks everyone for your help

Thanks

Every little helps Andrew! Yep, he's there in Air78. The problem is that there doesn't appear to be any reference anywhere to the circumstances surrounding his death ("falling under a train at Millom Station). I was hoping for a passing reference within a newspaper but no luck. It would seem it was suicide (I'm awaiting the arrival of his death certificate which will confirm it), mysteriously, the only newspaper reference I can find is a brief entry in a local (nth Devon) paper, which states he 'died suddenly'.

If he did indeed fall beneath a train (regardless if suicide or not), it being in a public place (rather than within the confines of RAF Millom or similar) I would have hoped to find a published report, if not of the inquest at least of the event (I have come across numerous others of a similar date), but sadly nothing. Frustrating!

Shawn

Thanks

Hi again Shawn, I've had another thought. Have you tried contacting the Coroner's Office to see if they can help? Apparently you can do so by calling (0300) 303 3180 or emailing hmcoroner@cumbria.gov.uk ......... Andrew

Thanks

Hi Andrew

Brilliant Idea! Hadn't even thought about that. What I'll do is wait 'till the death certificate arrives (this week) just to confirm cause of death and then contact the coroner's office. Hopefully the death certificate will confirm if an inquest was held.

Thanks so much Andrew

Shawn