Thread: Others units with AASF

Thanks

Default Others units with AASF

Hi,

I read in archives that 18 detachments of Obervers Screen posted between Thionville and Nancy in April 1940.

Are these units in relation with forecast/weather ?

Is there a relationship between them and the Wireless Intelligence Screens (WIS) Adanced Headquaters at Metz ?

About 200 militaries men belonged to 2nd Air form signal. Is this unit purely RAF or other army ?

At last I have 2 MCRE : could it be n2 Movement Control Royal Engineer and what was the role of this "Movement Control" ?

Thanks in Advance

Bertrand

Thanks

Default Re: Others units with AASF

Bertrand,
    I think it is highly unlikely that these 18 Dets in the Observer Screen were part of the meteorological system. They may, of course and possibly, have done some rudimentary weather observations as part of their duties. I think, however, that they were probably part of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) - similar. Don't know the history/time-line of that organisation.
    We do know something about one of the Meteo Dets in Europe in early WW2. They were not actually independent Formed Units - so no ORBs! They were part of the Station (like SHQ, Ops, SSQ, Fire, MT, etc, etc) and moved with the Station wherever it went. It was only when there was an operational requirement (N Africa, Middle East, etc, is good example) for a Met Sect to be able to move from one organisation to another that they became Numbered, Formed, Units. Even then, it has become almost impossible to excavate the histories of the various Met Units.
    Lyffe (if he's on the cct?) may have some additional comments.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Bertrand

The Observer Screens were probably employed on similar functions as the Observer Corps in the UK but would not have been part of it. They would probably 'fill in the gaps' between and behind the radar coverage.

Air Formation Signals were Army units, probably part of the Royal Corps of Signals.

Movement Control was probably the same function as Movements in the RAF, but at that time the RAF didn't have Movements Staff.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 1st September 2020 at 10:03.

Thanks

Thanks Peter and Malcolm for your replies. It is much clearer now

Bertrand

Thanks

In regards to '2MCRE', I think in all probability you are looking at 2 Movement Control (MC) Group, Royal Engineers, who operated in France in 1940. Whilst I am not certain (as we don't have anything that looks like that term in the British Army today), it appears to be a unit whose function was the control of ground movement on lines of communication. There is a file at Kew (WO 167/871) on them. I don't think it is 'movements' in the RAF sense (i.e. the transportation of pax and materiel) by air.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

thanks Jonny for the new input and ref at Kew.