Thread: Luqa and Takali ORBs

Thanks

Default Luqa and Takali ORBs

Does anyone have access to the station ORBs for Takali and/or Luqa on the island of Malta for January 1941?

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Default Re: Luqa and Takali ORBs

Hi Andy,

I don't think they exist.
    I have looked for ages for the ORB's for 261 squadron and Ta Kali.
    261 squadrons ORB is listed in the National Archives but they have never been able to find them.

Gerry

Thanks

There is definitely an ORB for Luqa for 1942, as I have copied details from it. Unfortunately, I have no record of the TNA File No. Sorry!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hi

ORB for Luqa for June '40 through December '41 is at AIR28/502

Ta' Qali is at AIR28/807

I have copies of large parts of them, but, unfortuately, not for any dates prior to May '41.

Niall

Thanks

It's true that the part of the 261 Squadron Operations Record Book that includes January 1941 is missing.
    For full coverage of TNA Squadron record refs See the TNA Free download thread, which was the recent collaborative effort to download the digitised Squadron records
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-Tracker/page6

The spreadsheet confirms (as does careful TNA Discovery search) that while AIR 27/1539 261 Squadron 01-06-40 to 31-05-41 is listed, no records for that period are shown.
    While AIR 27/1540 to AIR 27/1542 entries and records from 1 Jul 41 to 30 Sep 45 do exist and can be viewed or downloaded - these cover the period after the OPs time of interest, Jan 41.
    While it is not unusual for Ops Record Books to have missing periods (at various times quite common in Middle East and Far East Sqns particularly), it is quite unusual to my mind for a TNA Ref to be created for a unit unless the record had existed at that time.

On the other hand, the OP was seeking Station records for Luqa or Takali in Jan 1941.
    RAF Station Ops Record Books lie in AIR 28, and have not been digitised, and were thus not part of the Board's download initiative.

Resorting to Discovery, then,
    Luqa Station Operations Record Book for the period does exist and may be pre-ordered for view by visit, or for copy to be ordered:
    Reference: AIR 28/502
    Date: 1940 June-1941 Dec.
    See: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4098507

There's no AIR 28 Station record listed for Takali. Ah! Ta' Qali AIR28/807 noted above!
    There is a Station record for Hal Far - AIR 28/334 but that is for some reason only open from 1972 on.

Whether the AIR HQ Malta Cmd level record would assist, cannot say: AIR 24/908 1940 June - 1942 Aug. See
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4095248
    Last edited by Don Clark; 2nd September 2020 at 08:19.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Thank you for the replies.
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum