Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATC casualties WW2

Thanks

Default Re: ATC casualties WW2

Cadets *(Spitfire V* BM574 -* 29th* November 1942)
    *On Sunday November 29th 1942, the Bedfont Squadron of Feltham’s Air Training Corps (ATC) Cadets were on duty at the aerodrome when an RAF Spitfire overshot the boundary and ran into the two lines of boys.* One, Cadet Allum of Waterloo Crescent, Feltham, aged 17 at the time, was killed and six others were injured in the accident.
    *Witnesses at the inquest described seeing the airplane coming in to land very fast, touching down about 160 metres from the outer edge of the aerodrome.* It then appeared to skid, one wing crashing into an ambulance and narrowly missed a row of petrol pumps. The Flight Sergeant in charge of the cadets said that he thought that the airplane was landing a little too close to the road, but did not realise it was not going to stop, otherwise he would have warned the cadets to get out of the way.
    *The pilot of the Spitfire, Sergeant Anthony Smith, had been delivering the craft for inspection. Although he had never landed at Hanworth before (which was surprising given he lived in Isleworth), had made three observational circles as a precaution before landing. He had been told that Hanworth was a ‘very small ground for a machine of the type he was flying’ as the aircraft had a high landing speed. The pilot had been flying for 15 months and did not consider he was flying too fast.* He realised he was overshooting the aerodrome as he touched down, but by then, it was too late to take off again due to the number of buildings nearby.* Although the pilot applied the brakes, it was impossible to do so at once when landing at speed. The coroner found that the pilot had not been negligent and that the cadet’s death and the injuries suffered by the other cadets was accidental. In the depths of 1940, this tragic accident would have added to the other deaths and injuries being experienced by the residents of Feltham and Hanworth.

https://www.environmenttrust.org/air...orth-aerodrome

John Martin Allum

Thanks

Cheers , let’s hope we can get him the commemoration and head stone he deserves. I’m fairly confident

Thanks

Not seen any mention of ATC Cadet William Nathaniel Powell who was killed on August 17th, 1945 whilst flying from RNAS Inskip in Lancashire. He was aboard Firefly MB688 which was being flown by S/Lt F H Davies of 816 Squadron. The account I have states that a number of cadets from 1175 (Birkenhead) Squadron ATC were on a week long camp at Inskip to carry out air experience flights. The funeral, at Bebington Cemetery, was attended by the unit's CO, F/Lt J B Bentley and other officers of the ATC. I haven't found Powell on the CWGC database although another cadet killed whilst flying from nearby Squires Gate, Cadet F/S L S Black is included.

Peter

Thanks

Do you have details please ? Email me and I’ll submit it to the cwgc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Cadets *(Spitfire V* BM574 -* 29th* November 1942)
    *On Sunday November 29th 1942, the Bedfont Squadron of Feltham’s Air Training Corps (ATC) Cadets were on duty at the aerodrome when an RAF Spitfire overshot the boundary and ran into the two lines of boys.* One, Cadet Allum of Waterloo Crescent, Feltham, aged 17 at the time, was killed and six others were injured in the accident.
    *Witnesses at the inquest described seeing the airplane coming in to land very fast, touching down about 160 metres from the outer edge of the aerodrome.* It then appeared to skid, one wing crashing into an ambulance and narrowly missed a row of petrol pumps. The Flight Sergeant in charge of the cadets said that he thought that the airplane was landing a little too close to the road, but did not realise it was not going to stop, otherwise he would have warned the cadets to get out of the way.
    *The pilot of the Spitfire, Sergeant Anthony Smith, had been delivering the craft for inspection. Although he had never landed at Hanworth before (which was surprising given he lived in Isleworth), had made three observational circles as a precaution before landing. He had been told that Hanworth was a ‘very small ground for a machine of the type he was flying’ as the aircraft had a high landing speed. The pilot had been flying for 15 months and did not consider he was flying too fast.* He realised he was overshooting the aerodrome as he touched down, but by then, it was too late to take off again due to the number of buildings nearby.* Although the pilot applied the brakes, it was impossible to do so at once when landing at speed. The coroner found that the pilot had not been negligent and that the cadet’s death and the injuries suffered by the other cadets was accidental. In the depths of 1940, this tragic accident would have added to the other deaths and injuries being experienced by the residents of Feltham and Hanworth.

https://www.environmenttrust.org/air...orth-aerodrome

John Martin Allum
    The CWGC will not change this one and he is listed as a civilian casualty by them

Thanks

William Nathaniel Powell. Born 3/6/1926. Parents were George & Alice Powell of Linwood Road, Higher Tranmere, Birkenhead. A number of cadets from 1175 (Birkenhead) ATC Squadron arrived at RNAS Inskip on 11.8.45 for a week’s training. On Friday 17.8.44 Powell accompanied Sub/Lt (A) Francis H Davies RNVR of 816 Squadron on a local training flight. The aircraft was Firefly FR.1 MB688/’G’ . The Firefly was one of a formation of four flying at 2,500 feet when it suddenly dropped out of formation and dived into a potato field at Brow Farm, Holmeswood, near Tarleton, Lancashire. The aircraft was buried deeply in the ground and both occupants were killed.

Do you need any further information?

Thanks

Hi Peter, a copy of an actual report or an ORB, death certificate etc., to stand a chance of CWGC acceptance

Thanks

Hello Jon, I have a piece from the 'Birkenhead News' dated 25/8/45 but I'm struggling in trying to get it to you. It's so long since I've been on this site that I have forgotten the process for sending individual emails. I'll work on it!

Quote Originally Posted by jonheyworth View Post
    Hi Peter, a copy of an actual report or an ORB, death certificate etc., to stand a chance of CWGC acceptance

Thanks

Sorry to resurrect this thread but to let everyone know, there is a joint project between RAF Air Cadets and CWGC to commemorate the ATC casualties of WWII. I am part of the Corps-level Project Team

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/t...uk-war-graves/

If anyone has details of cadet or staff casualties please let me know.

This thread has been useful in collating information on staff. Keep in up.

Thanks

RomeoBravo

We also have these recorded in our RAF ww2 cwgc database. See if its of any utility
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...ame=&serialno=