Thread: 12 OTU ORB March-May 1944

Thanks

Default 12 OTU ORB March-May 1944

Does anybody have a copy of the No12 OTU ORB for the months March to May 1944? I'm looking for any reference to my uncle, 1331986 Sgt D.C. Atkins, a pilot, who was on 71 Course - I would be very grateful for any assistance. I believe the ORBs have not yet been digitised.

Appreciate this is something of a long shot! But my father is very elderly now and I'm still trying to flesh out his older brother's war service for him, hence the request.

Cheers, Pat

Thanks

Default Re: 12 OTU ORB March-May 1944

Hi Pat

I have the whole of the 12 OTU ORB, I can send you the relevant pages using Dropbox or Wetransfer

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Pat, I have browsed those OTUs, and they don't generally make references to individual crews, especially NCO's, so don't hold your hopes too high, however, I found that specifically 12 OTU ORBs had the most amazing A4 size photos of each and every course and each student named on the photo. If you can get to TNA in person I'm sure you find your uncle's course photo. (and have a good digital camera to copy it)
    Last edited by cyflyer1; 2nd September 2020 at 23:30.
    Andrew

Thanks

Hi Pat

I've added the photo of 71 Course to my website - https://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/OTU_1.htm

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, Malcolm and Cyflyer - much appreciated.

Malcolm, I realise there's not much chance of my uncle being mentioned but it would be useful background detail and, well, you never know. So, if you don't mind I'll PM you, thanks. And a belated thank you for your website, which I have used more than once - a great resource.

Cyflyer1, I actually have a copy of the 71 Course photo, thanks to the kindness of Mark Evans of Midland Aircraft Recovery Group (the excellent webpage on 12 OTU personnel is here) and shows my uncle Don plus two other members of his crew, John Sharples (rear gunner) and Edwin Lock (air bomber). However, I believe the remainder of his crew, less mid-upper gunner and flight engineer (they flew Stirlings and Halifaxes operationally) might be in those other photos - his navigator, William Belson DFC was on the course immediately before or after, as I recall. I agree, they're top quality and surely a rare beast in the records! I'll add them to my TNA one-day-this-will-happen wishlist.

Cheers, Pat