Thread: Stirling noseart

Thanks

Default Stirling noseart

Hi all
    I'm half way through painting a Short Stirling Mk III and am about to add the markings. To add interest I want to illustrate an aircraft which had nose art and the later red lettering.
    The trouble I am now finding is that I have checked every source I have access to and all those with nose art seem to be MkIs or IVs. The only pictures of MkIIIs with nose art that I have found are from 199 Sqn. This would do but they were an ECM Sqn and ideally I would like to portray a standard bomber squadron.
    Is any one able to assist with a picture of a suitable example?
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

Thanks

Steve

I do not know whether you live near the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby but I remember seeing a photograph of a 90 Squadron Stirling Mk. III : EH944 : WP-A in the hanger which houses the Lancaster a few years ago. The nose art had the name Astra which was surrounded by the moon and stars on the front fuselage. This aircraft was attacked by night fighters on a Hanover raid and crashed landed at Lakenheath on 23/9/43.

I agree that the examples of nose art photographs of 199 that I have seen were when the Squadron were undertaking ECM. However, 199 were a Main Force bomber squadron with 1 Group (flying Wellingtons) from November 1942 June 1943 and with 3 Group (flying Stirling Mk. III aircraft) from July 1943 until April 1944 although, as with other Stirling squadrons, Stirlings were withdrawn from attacking German targets from November 1943.

In a previous version of the forum, I indicated that my uncle flew with 199 from July September 1943 as part of the Hodson crew. They, with the exception of the bomb aimer, were killed on operations to Hanover on 27 September 1943. I met his bomb aimer, Robert Taylor, 50 years later and he had a painting of the aircraft in which they flew the majority of their operations. This was EH909 : EX-Z which resided under the name Semper in Excreta and had a flapping toilet roll on the fuselage. I have searched for a photograph of this aircraft for many years and, unfortunately, have been unsuccessful so far.

Best wishes

Douglas

Thanks

Thanks Douglas, that is really useful info. I'm down south but East Kirby is on my 'to do' list so I think I'll make the trip sooner rather than later!
    Steve

Thanks

Steve

The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby is certainly worth a visit. I last visited a couple of years ago and the Museum had panels where photos, stories etc. about individual crews and squadrons were placed. It was very interesting but, in particular, the Lancaster stole the show. It is only when you stand facing the aircraft and look up that you can tell it was truly the "Mighty Lanc".

Best wishes

Douglas

Thanks

I have a picture of the nose art art from Stirling III BK659 of 214 Squadron. It is an upside down chamber pot with the Latin phrase underneath "SEMPER IN EXCRETA". The Shattock crew used this aircraft in the summer of 1943 until screened from ops in July. My father was Navigator. They named the Stirling "The Krappen Kracker". If you want a copy email me, address is in my profile.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Default Re: Stirling noseart

I have a copy of this picture. My grandfather was the Pilot.