Thread: Dfc citations

Thanks

Default Dfc citations

I have been searching unsuccessfully for the citations for the DFCs awarded to my late father Robert Milward, firstly when he was Squadron Leader in Feb 1941; (at the time of the award he was OC 30 Squadron in Greece, but the award was recommended while he was a Flight Lieutenant in 39 Squadron in Aden) and secondly when he was a Wing Commander in May 1945 (pertaining to his service as OC 619 Squadron, which he relinquished 25 Feb 1945). The second award is listed on the rafcommands.com website, althought the name is misspelt with two Ls. I have all his log books and the family has his medals, but would like to know the citations. He died in 2007.

Can anybody point me in the right direction ? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Default Re: Dfc citations

W/Cdr Robert Alfred Milward 37201
    Distinguished Flying Cross London Gazette 11 Feb 1941 (as S/Ldr 30 Sqn, no citation)
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...35073/page/832

Mention in despatches London Gazette 1 Jan 1943
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35841/page/35

Distinguished Flying Cross London Gazette 22 May 1945 (as A/g W/Cdr 619 Sqn, no citation)
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/2623

The DFC & Bar are both shown in the DFC db here, name correct, & again as "no citation". Also both in Maton Honour the Air Forces.
    "No citation" is the usual case for non-immediate gallantry awards.

Further details inc any citation/recommendation* may be found in
    N&C Carter The Distinguished Flying Cross: How It Was Won 1918-1995 (Savannah Publications 1998) either in the British Library or some one here may have a copy.
    *I'm unsure, now, if recommendation (vs published citations) are included.

Alternatively, in the relevant Air Ministry Bulletins, fuller details may be shown.There are some available online here
    https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/...ype=dateissued (Browse/Date/Search is rather tricky)
    or at the RAF Museum on film, but member Hugh Halliday may be able to cite from his film copy, from which he has long been most helpful to all.

Held at the UK National Archives in AIR 22 though I found Discovery not all that helpful on tracing the full refs. A start, perhaps:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ro=any&_st=adv

"Very likely some one will be able to advise better on TNA AIR 22 searching"
    Already done here for AIR 2 and etc. The Carter DFC book can be viewed at TNA. See
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ecommendations

Evidently getting somewhat muddled, AIR 2 v AIR 22, v Air Ministry Bulletin, so time to stop, before spreading confusion.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 4th September 2020 at 22:29.
    Toujours à propos

Thanks

Hello

His D.F.C. was reported briefly in several newspapers in February 1941 with some other D.F.C. awards, but with no details.

EDIT - it was reported in the Western Gazette of February 21st 1941:

GALLANTRY DURING AIR OPERATIONS
    Among those to whom it is announced the King has approved the award of the D.F.C. - for gallantry and devotion to duty during air operations - is Squadron Leader R. A. Milward, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Milward, of Sherborne.

His Bar was reported in the Western Mail of May 22nd 1945, which includes the following:

Acting Wing Commander Robert Alfred Milward, who was educated at Monmouth School, has been awarded a bar to the the D.F.C. which he won in 1941.
    The citation states: " Since the award of the D.F.C this officer has completed his second tour of operational duties. During this tour he has completed attacks on tactical targets in the battle areas of France and Germany and has also attacked Trondheim and Munich.
    "As a Squadron Leader he has displayed a high standard of operational eficiency which has set a fine example to all those serving under him. His courage and devotion to duty have been highly praiseworthy at all times."

The Western Gazette of the same date includes the above citation, and also:

Wing Commander Milward was born in 1916, and his home is at Sherborne. He was educated at Monmouth School. He entered the R.A.F as a pupil pilot in April, 1935, and from February 1939, to April, 1942, was on flying duties in India and the Middle East. He was awarded the D.F.C. in February, 1941, was twice mentioned in despatches in March, 1941 and January, 1942, and again in January, 1944. he holds the Indian General Service Medal and is entitled to the 1939-1943 Star.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 5th September 2020 at 10:27. Reason: Added excerpt from Western Gazette
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

I would like to quote the AMB but have no access to a microfilm reader (yet) - Covis,etc.

Thanks

He also gets several mentions in the book 'Blenheims Over Greece and Crete' by Brian Cull, including being shot down near Athens by a Ju-88 in Blenheim K7095, in which incident his gunner was killed, on April 11th 1941:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?qnum=65543

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Many thanks, I will buy the book

Regards

Michael Milward

Thanks

Thanks, these extracts get me a bit further forward, and I did not know about the Mentions in Dispatches.

Regards

Michael Milward

Thanks

Thanks, I would be very interested when you are able to quote the AMB.

Regards

Michael Milward

Thanks

Many thanks Don. I did not know about the Mention in Dispatches.

Thanks

Hello Michael,

I remember to have been in contact with your father some years ago about his time in 619 Squadron and about his souvenirs on G/C John Raymond Jeudwine OBE DSO DFC .
    They shared quite some same stories , as Jeudwine had been in Far East ...Jeudwine had been C/O of 619 from 43/44too ....

Alain