Thread: 99 Squadron historian - Martin Bond

Thanks

Default 99 Squadron historian - Martin Bond

Does anyone know if Martin is still involved with research on the history of 99 Squadron, or have current contact details for him?

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks

Default Re: 99 Squadron historian - Martin Bond

Geoff,
    For what it's worth (and given the time and no of views/viewers without response so far) perhaps of some little use...

All the online traces of Martin Bond's 99 Squadron work that I could spot quickly led to dead/defunct ends, incl a ref to a 99 Sqn site of his own.

So just in case you've not spotted these (plus, may assist others sometime)

His 99 Sqn site can be still found in the US Internet Archive, last partial take Feb 2012
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120207...openworld.com/

However, in all takes back to 2006 all Contact pages are inoperable or lead to an inoperable BT page.
    A bit of link unscrambling did show his then email address
    mainly99ATbtopenworld.com
    but the hint is an abandoned email acct.

At Frank Haslam's long-maintained and still useful RAFRA page, the 99 Squadron Association email as of Feb 2017 was
    Association99sqnAToutlook.com.
    They might be be able to assist.

Alternatively, the Squadron Assn has a Facebook page but it appears to have been inactive since late 2018:
    https://www.facebook.com/99SquadronAssociation/

Lastly, 99 Squadron RAF might conceivably be able to assist.
    While the RAF/99 Sqn site page Station contact appears inappropriate, the Squadron also has it's own

Facebook page (inactive since 2018) https://en-gb.facebook.com/99Sqn/

and finally perhaps best chance
    Twitter page, which is in current use: https://twitter.com/99Sqn
    Perhaps a post there might get a useful reply.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 7th September 2020 at 22:28.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Don,

Thanks for your very comprehensive and helpful reply; you have found much more than my initial checks did.

Its a bit frustrating as I was in direct contact with him some good number of years ago, but since then he seems to have gone off radar. I don't do Facebook and have never really investigated Twitter to be honest, but I'll see where I can get with your suggestions unless anyone come up with a more definitive answer.

Geoff

Thanks

You're very welcome, Geoff.

May I ask, was Martin Bond from Devon by any chance?
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Don,

Can't recall to be honest. He was, though, very helpful with some information on a crew I was interested in and had a good number of veteran contacts.

I have a couple of things I wanted to run past him if I could, so will try the Squadron Association route to see if I can find him.

Geoff

Thanks

Hi, Geoff,

Martin - a friend of mine - lived in Windsor, UK, but I don't have that full snail mail address and can't find him in the British Telecom phone directory in Windsor. I recently wrote him at the only email address I have for him, Martin.Bond@btinternet.com, but I received no reply. I know he shut down his 99 Sqn website a few years ago.

There is a Martin Bond in the Windsor area in LinkedIn, and I checked out his contact details, but this Martin Bond is self-employed doing yardwork and so forth. I didn't send him a message, as I'm guessing it's not our man. Our Martin was self-employed, but in accounting or something similar, where he won contracts to give him work in manageable time segments.

I just rewrote him again, at the last-known email address that I used a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Geoff,

Martin responded by email on Sunday, and he is alive and well and reachable at that same email address: martin.bond@btinternet.com. Quoting from his email to me:

I don't inhabit the RAF Commands site, so won't pick up on any threads. Happy to be put in touch with Geoff Smith though - not that I expect to be of much help. Worth a shot.

So he is aware of your desire to pick his brain. I'm sure he'll answer you, especially now that he knows you wish to contact him. Good luck.

Cheers,

Matt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Poole For This Useful Post:

Smith 565 (14th September 2020)

Thanks

Cheers Matt, that's great news.

Much appreciate your help again.

Geoff